Actor Sivakarthikeyan’s latest release, Remo, has topped the box office in Tamil Nadu despite getting mostly negative reviews from critics. Some reviewers have strongly criticised the film for allegedly being an ode to stalking that is authored by the lead actor.
However, the opinion of the critics seem to have had no major impact on the film’s business. After reportedly garnering Rs 8 crore on its opening day, the film has outdone itself in its theatrical box office collection on Saturday and Sunday.
“#BlockBusterRemo after tremendous and record breaking collections, screens and shows increasing all over from today.setting new Records,” tweeted 24AM Studios, which bankrolled the romantic comedy.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
“Happy 2 share our Distributors Report: Day-2 collection of REMO beats Day-1.Day -3 beats Day1&2..phenomenal n record breaking (sic),” it added.
Not just in Tamil Nadu, the film is also doing well overseas. The film which marked the widest opening for Siva in the US, where it released in over 70 screens, holds the second position among Indian films after Telugu movie, Premam.
“#Remo 2 days at #USA BO $123,859 overtakes #RajiniMurugan ‘s lifetime BO of $101,626 to become @Siva_Kartikeyan ‘s highest grosser in US..,” said Ramesh Bala, an industry tracker in a tweet.
— Ramesh Bala (@rameshlaus) October 9, 2016
Meanwhile, Prabhu Deva’s comeback film in Tamil, Devi(L), has reportedly recorded about 50 percent jump in its collection on the second day and is fast picking up pace at the box office. The film is expected to end up as a sleeper hit in the light of a good word of mouth and positive media reviews. The makers of the horror-comedy are yet to officially reveal its box office numbers.