The makers of superstar Rajinikanth’s 1995 cult film Baashha will re-release the film on December 12 to mark the birthday celebrations of the Thalaivar, who turns 66 this year.
Although the film is two-decade old, the news of its re-release has been generating a lot of buzz in the industry and among the moviegoers. The film, Baashha, has been digitally spruced up and is released once again by RM Veerappan of Sathya Movies.
Baashha tells the story of an autorickshaw driver called Manikkam, who lives a quiet life with family and strives hard to fulfil the dreams of his siblings. But he has a bloody background. In the past, to avenge the murder of his best friend, Manikkam became ‘Manik Baashha’ a dreaded gangster and takes the Mumbai underworld by storm almost overnight. To fulfil the dying wish of his father, he gives up his gangster life and goes away with his family.
However, he still has an unfinished business with the rival gang leader, Mark Anthony, played by Raghuvaran, who forces Manikkam to come out of hiding.
Baashha shot up the worldwide popularity of Rajinikanth to a whole new high. The film, directed by Suresh Krissna was originally released during Pongal in 1995 and it turned out to be one of the milestones in Rajinikanth’s career, besides becoming a trendsetter. Since the release of the film, almost all the young leading actors down south have tried to make their very own Baashha but with little success.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Baashha is expected to take a good opening at the box office at par with new movies when it releases next month once again after 20 years.
In 2012, Rajinikanth’s 2007 hit film Sivaji was converted into 3D format with reduced running time and re-released to a good response at the box office. In 2014 his film Lingaa was also released on his birthday. However, the film was a dud.
But, there may not be a better time for re-releasing the classic gangster drama, Baashha as Rajinikanth’s last outing Kabali was a blockbuster. The Thalaivar in a drool-worthy gangster avatar in the film created a massive success at the worldwide box office.
Will Baashha recreate its past success? Let’s keep out fingers crossed.