At 2.0 first look launch event in Mumbai on Sunday, Bollywood filmmaker Karan Johar kept reminding the audience and the media that the upcoming Rajinikanth film is the most expensive film ever produced in Asia. While his statement about the film is correct to a certain extent, it would be accurate to say that Enthiran sequel is Asia’s second biggest film in terms of budget.
There is no question that 2.0 is India’s costliest film. The makers have spent a whopping Rs 350 crore on this south Indian film, even as the budget of the biggest Bollywood films with big star cast rarely touch the Rs 100 crore mark.
But, China’s forthcoming epic fantasy film, Asura, is Asia’s costliest film with a budget of $100 million. The film is said to be loosely based on Buddhist mythology and marks the directorial debut of Peng Zhang, a popular stunt choreographer in Hollywood. The Chinese filmmaker is known for his work in films like Ant-Man, The Twilight Saga and Scott Pilgrim vs the World.
The filmmakers have roped in Hollywood filmmakers for the project to expose the local Chinese film industry to international practices in filmmaking. The film is a trilogy and its first part is scheduled to hit the screens in 2018.
The film is produced by Jack Ma’s Alibaba Pictures Group, Ningxia Film Group, Zhenjian Film and others. The first look posters of the expensive film in Asia were released recently.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Meanwhile, the Rajinikanth-starrer 2.0 is made with a budget of Rs 350 crore ($55 million). The film’s production team is made up of some of the world-renowned artistes, including music composer AR Rahman and sound designer Resul Pookutty.
The film is directed by Shankar, who has also expressed his interest in making more films in the Enthiran franchise. India’s costliest film is produced by Lyca Productions. Despite Rajinikanth’s pan-India popularity, to reach out to a wider audience in Hindi-speaking regions, the makers have roped in Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar to a play the main antagonist in the film. The film also marks his debut in Tamil cinema.
The film will be presented in the 3D format and will be simultaneously released in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi next Diwali.