Actor Mohanlal’s Pulimurugan is showing no sign of slowing down at the box office, even in its third week. The film, which released on October 7 to a tremendous reception from the fans, continues to keep the cash registers ringing at the ticket counters.
Pulimurugan has achieved another feat. The film has completed 10,000 houseful shows in just 14 days, which is an all-time new record. The action-adventure has, indeed, raised the stakes at the box office in the Malayalam film industry.
The Mohanlal-starrer is also the first Malayalam film in Kerala to have had 858 shows on its opening day, which is next to Kabali. The Rajini-starrer gangster film was released at over 300 screens and had 1000 plus shows. Meanwhile, it has also surpassed the first three-day collection of Kabali by collecting a whopping Rs 12.91 crore.
Pulimurugan is a trendsetter in the Malayalam film industry in more than one way. Of late, the film industry has tilted strongly towards realistic movies, affecting the industry output of big-ticket commercial films. The movie budgets have also hit a ceiling in the industry as low-budget realistic films provide good returns with less significant financial risk, prompting the producers to play safe.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
However, Pulimurugan, which was made at a cost of Rs 25 crore, a big budget for a Malayalam film, showed other filmmakers the kind of money large-scale action films can make at a record time. In two weeks, the film has grossed Rs 40 crore from ticket sales, a new box office standard that is not easy to hit. And the film is soon expected to gross the Rs 50 crore mark at the Kerala box office alone without breaking a sweat.
The filmmakers have also earned Rs 15 crore in sales of the film’s satellite and overseas rights.
Pulimurugan is an out and out commercial entertainer, starring Mohanlal, Kamalinee Mukherjee and Jagapathi Babu in the lead roles. The film that deals with man-animal conflict is directed by Vysakh.