After a gap of nearly three decades veteran Bollywood actor Om Puri is all set to make a comeback in Malayalam films with an upcoming horror thriller.
The 65-year-old actor will star in ‘Aadupuliattam’ to be directed by Kannan Thamarakulam.
The “Ardh Satya” actor will play the role of a mystic scientist, who carries out research on soul and incarnations.
According to the director no one in Indian cinema is as perfect as Om Puri to play the character, which demands a lot of depth and emotional intensity.
“Only very few actors in Indian cinema might have enacted the wide range of characters played by Om Puri. We hope that the character in Aadupuliattam will be a special one in his career,” Kannan told PTI.
“Through Dr Maheswara Yogi (Om Puri’s character, the film, which has a mythical touch, goes to the past from the present. An actor with high range and caliber can only play such an in-depth character,” he said.
The first schedule of the shooting of the movie will begin tomorrow in Thodupuzha.
Om Puri is expected to join the crew in the second schedule which will be shot in Palani in Tamil Nadu during January.
- Om Puri: Unlikely hero who straddled twin worlds of Ardh Satya’s Anant and Narsimha’s Baapji
- Everyman’s Hero
- The interview in which Om Puri predicted his own death
- Om Puri passes away: A look at his films beyond Ardh Satya, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron
- RIP Om Puri: His journey from rag picking to cinematic success, see pics
- This country needs benevolent dictator to set it right: Om Puri
The movie, which revolves around a centuries-old myth and travels from the present to the past, will also have Jayaram, Jewel Marry and south Indian actress Ramya Krishnan in the cast and is expected to be released by mid 2016.
The last Malayalam film Om Puri worked in was Lenin Rajendran’s “Puravrutham” (1988).