Currently, Malayalam superstar Mohanlal is the most dominant personality in southern cinema. His last three films, Janatha Garage, Oppam and Pulimurugan have collectively earned over Rs 200 crore from the ticket sales.
And it is only fair to expect a pay hike after putting up such an extraordinary performance. According to reports, Mohanlal has decided to increase his remuneration in the light of his recent box office success.
The actor, who was charging between Rs 3 crore and Rs 3.5 crore for a film since 2012, will charge Rs 4 crore per film henceforth, said an Asianet report. He also holds the distinction of being the highest paid actor in Malayalam since 1986.
Mohanlal tasted the first major box office success with Drishyam in 2013. The film ended its run at the theatres after getting over Rs 42 crores in its kitty from worldwide theatrical box office collection. That record was shattered by Oppam in about 30 days. The actor’s crime thriller raked in Rs 45 crore worldwide in just 31 days. Then came Pulimurugan, a widely-anticipated movie released after being delayed multiple times.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The action-adventure took the box office by storm as it grossed a whopping Rs 40 crore in Kerala alone. The makers of the film, elated by the film’s record business are expecting it to become the first Malayalam film to ever collect Rs 100 crore. And going by the trends, it is well within the range of Pulimurugan.
While his movies have managed to set the box office on fire, they have also raised the bar for the industry and Mohanlal himself. It is inevitable that all his upcoming films and the box office performances will be compared against the success of Pulimurugan.