A man with a criminal record set himself on fire and later embraced a person standing nearby during the shooting of a TV poll programme in Sultanpur district Monday evening, police said.
Both were been referred to KGMU’s Trauma centre in Lucknow for treatment. The police officials said that while historysheeter Durgesh Kumar Singh sustained over 80 per cent burns, the other person, identified as Kamruzzma had 40 per cent burn injuries.
The reason behind his taking the step is yet to be known, the police said.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Faizabad Range DIG Nilabja Choudhury said, during the ‘Chaupal’ programme of Doordarshan at Tikonia Park, Durgesh suddenly got up, poured petrol and set himself on fire.
As flames enveloped him, Durgesh embraced Kamruzzma who was standing nearby. By the time the people doused the flames, they had sustained serious burns. Both were rushed to the district hospital from where they were referred to Lucknow, the DIG said.
He said that a hotel key recovered from Durgesh’s possession helped establish his identity. The Mau police confirmed that Durgesh was a historysheeter and has several criminal cases registered against him.
The hotel staff told the police that Durgesh had checked in Sunday afternoon, the DIG said.
Mau SP Dinesh Chandra Dubey said that Durgesh is a history-sheeter of Haldharpur police station and his family members have told the police that he had not returned home for last one year.
The family members feigned ignorance about any possible reason leading to Durgesh immolating self, he added.