A man with a criminal record set himself on fire and later embraced a person standing nearby during the shooting of a TV poll programme in Sultanpur district Monday evening, police said.
Both were been referred to KGMU’s Trauma centre in Lucknow for treatment. The police officials said that while historysheeter Durgesh Kumar Singh sustained over 80 per cent burns, the other person, identified as Kamruzzma had 40 per cent burn injuries.
The reason behind his taking the step is yet to be known, the police said.
Faizabad Range DIG Nilabja Choudhury said, during the ‘Chaupal’ programme of Doordarshan at Tikonia Park, Durgesh suddenly got up, poured petrol and set himself on fire.
As flames enveloped him, Durgesh embraced Kamruzzma who was standing nearby. By the time the people doused the flames, they had sustained serious burns. Both were rushed to the district hospital from where they were referred to Lucknow, the DIG said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He said that a hotel key recovered from Durgesh’s possession helped establish his identity. The Mau police confirmed that Durgesh was a historysheeter and has several criminal cases registered against him.
The hotel staff told the police that Durgesh had checked in Sunday afternoon, the DIG said.
Mau SP Dinesh Chandra Dubey said that Durgesh is a history-sheeter of Haldharpur police station and his family members have told the police that he had not returned home for last one year.
The family members feigned ignorance about any possible reason leading to Durgesh immolating self, he added.