Dhanush’s Kodi and Karthi’s Kaashmora are neck and neck at the box office competition. Both films have given the leading men their career best opening weekend in terms of collection.
Kaashmora, which released amid huge expectations is raking in the moolah despite getting mixed reviews. The film is said to be going strong in Tamil Nadu and in Telugu states with a steady support of family audience.
“#Kaashmora holds great on weekday. Thanks to the power of family audience,” tweeted S R Prabhu of Dream Warrior Picture, the production house behind the film.
The multi-genre film earned Rs 12.5 crore in its first two days in Tamil Nadu alone. The film’s collection from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana is said to be Rs 8 crore for the same period.
However, according to latest reports, the film has raked in Rs 11 crore from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana box office, giving Karthi his best opening in Telugu regions. The total collection of Tamil and Telugu would have easily grossed more than Rs 20 crore in its opening weekend. However, there are no details available on the film’s Sunday collection in Tamil Nadu as yet.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
On the other hand, Kodi has also set the box office on fire as it collected Rs 15 crore in its first two days. It has dominated the ticket counters over Karthi’s big-ticket film in Tamil Nadu.
According to a report at Indiaglitz.com, Kodi was released in about 23 theatres and had about 350 shows, including early morning fan shows in Chennai. And the political thriller directed by RS Durai Senthilkumar has collected Rs 1.5 crore in its first three days.
Kaashmora, which released on 17 screens and had 302 shows has collected Rs 1.2 core at the Chennai box office. The makers of both the films are yet to reveal the Sunday box office numbers.
However, the supernatural film has overpowered the political thriller in overseas collection due to its screen count.
Kaashmora, directed by Gokul, which hit over 150 screens in the US, has earned $298,244 (Rs. 3 crore) from both Tamil and Telugu versions in its first weekend.
Dhanush’s Kodi, which released on just 41 screens, has made $62,000 (Rs. 41.5 lakhs) at the US box office for the same period.
Kodi is predicted to have grossed over Rs 20 crore in Tamil Nadu during its first weekend. Its Telugu version titled Dharma Yogi, is also said to be doing well at the box office due to good word of mouth. However, the makers are yet to release its box office numbers from Telugu states.