Diwali releases Dhanush’s Kodi and Karthi’s Kaashmora have given their leading men the biggest openings of their careers in terms of box office collection. However, Karthi’s film has surpassed the worldwide collection of Dhanush’s film in its opening weekend.
Both films were released amid much anticipation. The expectations were so high from the films that distributors and exhibitors refused to accommodate other films for Diwali. At least five films, including Kaashmora, Kodi, Kaththi Sandai, Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru and Saithan, were vying for release on the festival. However, trade picked Kaashmora and Kodi over other films to give them a proper and a big opening as they knew that these films will hit gold at the box office.
As expected, both films took the box office by storm. Both films were released in Tamil and Telugu versions. While Kodi received a decent response in Telugu states, Kaashmora gave Karthi is the biggest opening in Telugu.
While the makers of Kodi and Kaashmora are yet to release the official box office numbers, some media reports suggest these films have shattered Dhanush and Karthi’s own individual box office records.According to an Indiaglitz report, Karthi’s film has raked in Rs 35 crore in its worldwide box office collection in the opening weekend while Kodi has collected Rs 28 crore worldwide.
While the Kodi and Kaashmora were neck-to-neck at the domestic box office, Karthi’s film took a lead over Dhanush’s due to the high number of screens. Sample this: Tamil and Telugu versions of Kaashmora managed to get more than 150 screens in the US, while Kodi was released on 40 screens.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Kaashmora also dominated Telugu regions, thanks to aggressive promotions while Kodi is said to be gaining ground due to a good word of mouth. Kaashmora is a multi-genre period film with elements of horror, comedy and action. The film, directed by Gokul, opened to a mixed reviews from the critics. Kodi, a political drama, mostly received positive reviews from critics and fans alike.
Kodi is the new venture of Dhanush and Vetrimaaran, who have worked in several blockbuster projects in the past. The new Dhanush -starrer was produced by Vetrimaaran’s Grass Root Film Company under Escape Artists Motion Pictures banner has bankrolled this film. Both the films have music by Santhosh Narayanan.