After 13 years, Kamal Haasan and Gautami call it quits

Gautami said ending the relationship with Kamal Haasan for her was one of the most devastating choices that she had to ever make.

By: Express Web Desk | Bengaluru | Published:November 1, 2016 3:09 pm
Actors Kamal Haasan and Gautami call it quits. Actors Kamal Haasan and Gautami call it quits.

In yet another celebrity break-up this year, actor Gautami on Tuesday confirmed that she and actor Kamal Haasan are no longer together. Gautami was in a relationship with Kamal for 13 years.

The news has come as a shocker as the celebrity couple showed no sign of distress in their relationship. Last year, she returned to screen in Kamal’s film Papanasam.

In a statement on her blog, she has hinted that their relationship was in deep waters at least for a couple of years now and that ending the relationship, for her, was one of the most devastating choices that she had to ever make. “It is never easy for anyone in a committed relationship to realise that their paths have irreversibly diverged and that the only choices in front of them are to either compromise with their dreams for life or to accept the truth of their solitude and move ahead,” she wrote in her blog.

The reason for break up seems to be her commitment to her daughter. “It is not my intention to seek sympathy or assign blame. I have understood through my life that change is inevitable and human nature will define that change for each individual. Not all of these changes might be what we expect or anticipate but that does not, in any way, negate the very real impact of these diverging priorities in a relationship. This decision to set forth on my own at this stage in my life is perhaps one of the most difficult decisions any woman will ever have to make but it is a necessary one for me. For I am a mother first and foremost and I have a responsibility to my child to be the best mother that I can be. And to do that, it is essential that I am at peace within myself,” she added.

Gautami divorced her husband in 1999 and was in live-in relationship with Kamal since 2005. Both actors didn’t wanted to get hitched citing their lack of faith in the institution of marriage. Gautami is also a cancer survivor. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 35. However, Kamal and her friends helped her through her trying times and eventually she beat the cancer.

Read Gautami’s blog on her break with Kamal Haasan here.

LIFE AND DECISIONS

November 1

It is heartbreaking for me to have to say today that I and Mr. Haasan are no longer together. After almost 13 years together, it has been one of the most devastating decisions that I have ever had to make in my life. It is never easy for anyone in a committed relationship to realise that their paths have irreversibly diverged and that the only choices in front of them are to either compromise with their dreams for life or to accept the truth of their solitude and move ahead. It has taken me a very long time, a couple of years at the very least, to accept this heartbreaking truth and come to this decision.

It is not my intention to seek sympathy or assign blame. I have understood through my life that change is inevitable and human nature will define that change for each individual. Not all of these changes might be what we expect or anticipate but that does not, in any way, negate the very real impact of these diverging priorities in a relationship. This decision to set forth on my own at this stage in my life is perhaps one of the most difficult decisions any woman will ever have to make but it is a necessary one for me. For I am a mother first and foremost and I have a responsibility to my child to be the best mother that I can be. And to do that, it is essential that I am at peace within myself.

It is no secret that I have always been a fan of Mr. Haasan’s since before I came to the film industry and I continue to admire and cheer on his monumental talent and achievements. I have stood by him through all his challenges and they have been precious moments for me. I have also learned a great deal from working with him as costume designer on his films and I’m proud that I was able to do justice to his creative vision in those films. Along with all of his accomplishments to date, I know that there is much more to come from him for his audience and I look forward to applauding those successes.

I would like to say that I am sharing this monumental happening in my life because I have always lived my life in your midst, with dignity and grace to the best of my ability at all times, and all of you have been a part of my life’s journey in so many ways. I have received so much of love and support from you through the past 29 years and I would like to thank you for the many ways in which you kept me going through the darkest and most painful times in my life.

With love and regards,

Gautami

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App now

Anil Kalaga
    Nov 1, 2016 at 10:30 am
    Very powerfully written feelings! lt;br/gt;All the best for your 'new' journey, Gautami.
      ashok s
      Nov 1, 2016 at 12:03 pm
      Why
      1. H
        harun
        Nov 1, 2016 at 12:48 pm
        The Headlines should have been Gautami joinslt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Vani ganapathy,Sarika,Simran, in the list of Kamals
          Khaja
          Nov 2, 2016 at 4:51 am
          who is next for Actor Kamal,
            KSRao
            Nov 1, 2016 at 4:44 pm
            Gautama's daughter is grown up and probably married, and she should have left her to deal with her life, and she should enjo her life with Kamal Hasan.
              Kumar
              Nov 1, 2016 at 12:14 pm
              Modiji, you are after Muslim women and considered as harment by the PM. Is there any rule for this relationship, where women lost her verginity free of cost with no liability. Muslims are at least marrying women, here in this case Kamal Han keep her looted her virginity enjo day and night.
                mathimathi
                Nov 1, 2016 at 12:51 pm
                Kamal Haasan never need a court divorce triple talaq except in his early marriage in one or two.
                1. N
                  NBR
                  Nov 2, 2016 at 9:24 am
                  Is this announcement of any national interest? They were just living together. Did they announce when they started living together? Then why this tamasha of anouncing getting separated?lt;br/gt;Dont know, what all people shall do for getting cheap publicity.
                    Pankaj
                    Nov 1, 2016 at 5:43 pm
                    why do we give importance to such stupid news? do spend your time to do some social work. we should not go after these so called celebrities...
                    1. B
                      B.K.Prem
                      Nov 2, 2016 at 4:03 am
                      Good reply dear, but now a days 50% social work are done through internet think bro
                      1. B
                        B.K.Prem
                        Nov 2, 2016 at 4:02 am
                        Why discussing your private life in pubic, crocidle tear, they where never officially or tradatoonally together. What is this live in relationship , waste product of west. If we indians follow west style we will be wate
                          Pradeep
                          Nov 2, 2016 at 1:17 am
                          Why are you here then? Why are you wasting your time in internet? Why not spend your time doing social service?
                            Pratyush Sinha
                            Nov 1, 2016 at 12:06 pm
                            There is a grammatical error in this article. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Both actors didn’t wanted to get hitched citing their lack of faith in the insution of marriage. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;It should have been didn't want. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;The writer of this article should work on grammar.
                            1. L
                              LIZZY RYAN
                              Nov 2, 2016 at 5:55 am
                              My name is LIZZY RYAN. After i saw an article about PROPHET OYINBO on a page i decided to take out time to do more research about him before i contact him, In order to get accurate information i choose to use google search engine, After my research i contacted lord mahatra through these details and 2348074066640 because i was having relationship trouble and i discovered that PROPHET OYINBO has a lot of good reviews because he is a professional when it comes to casting love spell to reunite broken relationship or marriage..
                                Ram Lakshmanan
                                Nov 1, 2016 at 8:39 pm
                                Kamal seems to have a serious issue getting along with his partners. Maybe his huge ego??!
                                  Shafted mohammed
                                  Nov 1, 2016 at 12:46 pm
                                  It seems he found someone more younger and prettier than her so this news.
                                  1. X
                                    xyz
                                    Nov 1, 2016 at 11:06 am
                                    Thats woman power. Independent. What happens first in film industry happens later in general.
                                      subraman
                                      Nov 1, 2016 at 12:16 pm
                                      Who cares? Film stars think they own India. They do not represent the Indian culture. No lose to Indians except for those who cannot think of better role models
                                        ProdyotPran
                                        Nov 1, 2016 at 12:04 pm
                                        Kamal Haasan, one of the finest actors India has ever produced.lt;br/gt;He is far superior to Rajnikant, Amitabh, Shahrukh, Amir, Salman et al.lt;br/gt;-lt;br/gt;He is in the great league of Dilip Kumar, Sanjeev Kumar, Nana Patekar et al.lt;br/gt;-lt;br/gt;It is sad he does not act in Hindi movies anymore.lt;br/gt;-
                                        1. V
                                          V B
                                          Nov 1, 2016 at 1:17 pm
                                          His immense talent apart, this development leaves Kamal Haasan very diminished in my esteem. Of course we have not heard of his side of the story but then I belong to a fast vanishing generation which never thought of divorce as an option and yet learnt very well to live happily together ever after.
                                            Raguraman
                                            Nov 1, 2016 at 11:03 am
                                            Kamal n gauthami dont believe in traditional marriage n went for a live in relationship. But this is also not working for them as is apparent now! ! Who is to be blamed? Tradition. ?