Film fans from across Kerala, fellow artistes and family members on Monday bid adieu to versatile actor Kalabhavan Mani who died on Sunday evening. His mortal remains were consigned to flames with full state honours at his home town Chalakkudi in Thrissur district as a huge crowd stood teary-eyed.
Earlier in the day, postmortem was held in Thrissur after the police registered a case of unnatural death. Doctors at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, where the actor was admitted on Saturday, had detected traces of methyl alcohol in his blood, which led to registering the case of unnatural death.
Police sources said Mani was suffering from an advanced stage of liver cirrhosis. However, the cause of death could be ascertained only from the chemical examination of viscera and internal organs.
The mimicry artiste-turned actor, who had acted in 200-odd Malayalam films, has been staying at an outhouse within his farm at Chalakkady for last few weeks.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“He used to drink heavily despite the warning from doctors. On Friday night also Mani had heavily boozed along with his friends,’’ police sources said.
Also read: Malayalam actor Kalabhavan dead
Police said they had questioned his five friends who were reportedly along with Mani hours before he was found unconscious at the outhouse. “They all have stated about the drinking party at the outhouse. However, they could not give any explanation about the presence of methyl alcohol in Man’s blood. Officials of the excise department also searched the outhouse due to the suspicion that they used spurious liquor at the farm house,’’ police sources said.