Diwali will arrive in theatres across south India a day earlier with the release of two much-anticipated films — Kodi and Kaashmora. While Shivaay and Ae Dil Hai Mushkil are getting ready for a big box office clash, Kollywood has its own face-off with Kodi and Kaashmora locking horns. While Karthi-starrer Kaashmora will release with the same title in Telugu, Dhanush’s Kodi’s Telugu version will hit the screens as Dharma Yogi.
Actors Dhanush and Karthi have been aggressively running both online and offline promotional campaigns for their respective films. Dhanush has been visiting theatres and meeting fans in person to promote Kodi, a political thriller set in a rural backdrop. Karthi was recently in Kochi and held press meets in Chennai to talk about his upcoming magnum opus.
According to reports, films that release during Diwali usually record 10 percent higher collections as theatres in rural areas see a spike in the number of footfalls during festive season. At least five films — including Kaashmora, Kodi, Kaththi Sandai, Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru and Saithan — have thrown their hat in the ring for the Diwali release. However, traders picked Kaashmora and Kodi over other films to give them a proper and big opening on October 28.
Kaashmora will open in about 500 theatres while Kodi will also hit an equal number of screens in Tamil Nadu this Friday. However, the dark fantasy film has an edge over the political thriller in its overseas release.
This is the biggest release of Karthi’s career as the film will release on 1700 screens worldwide. The Tamil version of the film will release on 150 screens and its Telugu version on 143 screens in the US, which is big in terms of screen count for a Karthi film. The film made at a budget of Rs 55 crore is said to be high on special effects, especially in the period portion, which is the highlight of the film.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Kodi will release on about 40 screens in the US, which is less than his last film Thodari that got 60 screens. However, Kodi has acquired more screens in Tamil Nadu as compared to Thodari, which released in about 250 theatres.
The theatre owners and multiplex screens are faced with the problem of plenty as they also have to accommodate two Bollywood movies, Shivaay and Ae Dil Hai Mushkil. The reports claim Kaashmora and Kodi have jointly dominated 1000 of 1180 screens in Tamil Nadu. This leaves 100-odd screens for the Bollywood biggies.
According to reports, ADHM is leading in advance booking, thanks to the interest generated around the film. The SPI Cinemas is distributing ADHM and Shivaay in Tamil Nadu. The popular film banner has recently opened its first theatre in Bandra in Mumbai to focus on Bollywood market.
While Kaashmora may have gone one-up on Kodi in terms of its overseas screen count, the film’s success at the domestic box office will depend on the collection of first three days. Trade pundits believe that most of the movies make 90 percent of their lifetime collection during the first three days. So, may the best film win.