In southern cinema, actor Vidyut Jammwal may have only played villainous roles so far, but he says after sharing screen space with some superstars such as Ajith, Suriya and Vijay, he feels like a star in the industry.
“Since I work in Bollywood as well as southern cinema, I feel I have been recognized in both the industries. I have my fan following. It’s a double whammy I’m enjoying. But having worked with southern superstars, I feel like a star too when I go there. It’s like I’ve found my own stardom,” Vidyut told IANS.
“I also feel I’m getting the recognition in southern filmdom because a lot of Bollywood actors are recognized there. I may not be playing lead roles down south, but I’m happy with the success and recognition,” he said.
After playing a baddie in southern films such as ‘Billa 2’, ‘Shakti’ and ‘Thuppakki’, Vidyut is finally changing gears with upcoming Tamil actioner ‘Anjaan’.
He doesn’t appear in a typical “villain” role in the film. “My role in ‘Anjaan’ has no similarities with the ones I’ve played before. It’s something I haven’t done before. It’s not cold and menacing. I’m really excited to the see the result and the audiences response to it,” he said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“Audiences will also get to see me doing some action in this film. I’ve performed my own stunts and I’m sure it will be received well,” he added.
‘Anjaan’ features Suriya in the lead and Vidyut is playing his “partner in crime”. The film, which was predominantly shot in Mumbai, also features several Hindi actors such as Manoj Bajpai, Dalip Tahil, Asif Basra and Rajpal Yadav.
Jamwal was “happy” to rub shoulders with several of his industry counterparts in ‘Anjaan’. “I was happy to work with so many of them in the same film. You don’t get to work with all of them every day. Manoj has been a friend from before and we gelled well on the sets. There’s so much to learn from him,” he said.
Directed by N. Linguswamy, ‘Anjaan’ is slated for release Aug 15. It is jointly produced by the director and UTV Motion Pictures.
Vidyut says “it’s a Linguswamy film all the way”. “The reason I agreed to do the film is for Linguswamy. I’ve seen his ‘Paiyya’ and I fell in love with his work. So when he asked me to come to Chennai to audition for the film, I decided I’ll do the film even without knowing my role,” he said.
“He’s a fabulous director and I always wished to work with him. We shared a wonderful bond on and off the sets and no wonder I didn’t find working with him challenging,” he added.
He heaps praise on his co-star Suriya as well. “Suriya and I will be seen together in the film and that helped us grow closer as friends. He’s called a superstar but there’s nothing about him that makes you feel so. He’s a committed actor and never leaves room for star status to overshadow his work,” Vidyut said.
In Bollywood, Vidyut has started working on ‘Yaara’ with Shruti Haasan. He also has ‘Commando 2’ in the offing.