Bollywood filmmaker Karan Johar once called SS Rajamouli “the baap of all directors” and we couldn’t agree more. Working with the two-time National Award-winning director is the dream of every film producer and actor because once you a part of a Rajamouli film, instant success is guaranteed.
Rajamouli made his directorial debut in 2001 and so far has directed 11 films, including the upcoming film Baahubali: The Conclusion. With every film, he has redefined himself as a director besides fine-tuning the art of making commercial films. As he turns 43 today, here is a look at five films that catapulted him to the status of “the Baap of all directors.”
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The 2004 film is arguably the best sports film ever made in Telugu. The film is based on the two rival gangs in a college who use rugby games to settle their personal scores. However, they eventually let go of their differences and unite to play a rugby match against a group of thugs led by a maverick villain who is out to destroy their college.
The action drama is about an oppressed individual who rises against all odds to become the saviour of a group of displaced Sir Lankans in Vizag port, which is exploited by local rowdies. The film was a runaway hit and also cemented the position of actor Prabhas as one of the leading action heroes in Telugu. It was later remade in Tamil, Kannada and Bengali.
It is only fair to say that this 2009 romantic-action film made Ram Charan Teja a bankable actor in Tollywood after his 2007 debut Chirutha failed at the box office. The film is a love story of a bike stuntman who remembers his past life as a warrior and pursues his love and revenge in the present life. The film also showed Rajamouli’s talent in making period films. The film emerged as the biggest box office blockbuster of that year. The director was widely appreciated for use of special effects in the film.
It is a landmark film, and not just in Rajamouli’s career. The 2012 fantasy drama again deals with the idea of reincarnation. Murdered by his lover’s stalker, a man is reincarnated as a house fly and seeks to avenge his own death besides protecting his lover. Needless to say, the film was a major box office hit and was dubbed in many languages.
5.Baahubali: The Beginning
This 2015 two-part epic film pushed the envelope in filmmaking in the country to a whole new level. It was made at a whopping budget of Rs 250 crore, the costliest Indian film so far. While the film earned Rs 500 crore in four weeks, it made its first Rs 100 crore in 35 hours, a new box office record in India. It was also the first Hindi dubbed film to join the Bollywood’s elite Rs 100 crore club.
The film deals with a family feud between two siblings who aspire to succeed to the throne of Mahishmati kingdom. The film ended on a cliffhanger, ensuring an earth-shattering repose for its second part, Baahuballi: The Conclusion, which is set to hit the screens early next year.