The plagiarism controversy over Bogan has now reached a fever pitch, embroiling some of the big names of Tamil cinema in the issue. Cinematographer-turned-director Antony has accused director Lakshman of stealing his story and has used all legal options at his disposal to stop the release of Bogan.
Antony, alleging that the story of Bogan belongs to him, has been engaged in a legal battle with the makers of the film for several months now. However, all hell broke loose, after the Bogan team, this week announced that the film will release worldwide on December 23.
Antony, who is on a war-footing, filed a police complaint on Wednesday against producers Prabhu Deva, Ishari K Ganesh and director Lakshman. He has claimed that his life is in danger. He also alleged that he had been attacked by unidentified goons, who threatened him with dire consequences, should he continue pursuing plagiarism allegations against the makers of Bogan.
Antony said, in 2014 he began shooting for his film titled Hallva. However, the filming was stopped due to financial constraints. While he was searching for new producers to finish his film, he emailed a copy of his script to Chennai’s Vels University, headed by Ishari K Ganesh.
After learning the story of Bogan was same as Hallva, he approached the South Indian Film Writers Association (SIFWA) headed by director Vikraman. However, the members of the association were unable to resolve the dispute and advised him to move the court. Antony has been trying to get a stay order on the film.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
On the other hand, Lakshman has denied plagiarism charges accusing Antony of trying to extort money from him. He said that Bogan is inspired by many Hollywood films and even SIFWA was convinced of it.
Lakshman has also filed a police complaint against Antony for allegedly causing mental distress to the makers of Bogan and spreading false allegations about the film on the social media.
Bogan has Jayam Ravi, Arvind Swami and Hansika Motwani in the lead roles. The film is produced by Ganesh under the Prabhu Deva Studios banner. It has music by D Imman.