It looks like Simbu’s Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada is in for the long haul at the box office as it opened on a strong note at all centres across the country despite the shortage of currency among the general public, due to the government’s ban on Rs 500 and Rs 1000 denomination notes.
Not just at home, the film helmed by Gautham Menon has also opened to a very good response in the US. “Thank you for all the love & making #AYM a BLOCKBUSTER.The effort, the wait, the issues-all feel justified.A big thank you from me & STR,” Gutham tweeted to the superb repose to the film, which was released on Friday after a long delay.
According to reports, AYM opened collecting Rs 65 lakhs at the Chennai box office, which is touted as this year’s third highest opening after Rajinikanth’s Kabali and Vijay’s Theri. The box office numbers from other parts of Tamil Nadu and country are not yet available.
The film, meanwhile, has also become tax-free in Tamil Nadu. It has met all the requirements to receive 30 percent entertainment tax exception from the state government, which will add to the profit margin of the film.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
AYM has hit 90 plus screens in the US, giving Simbu his career best opening there. The Tamil and Telugu versions have raked in 70,000$ from their premier shows on Thursday. On Friday, both versions together have grossed more than $120,000, said film distributors Tentkotta and Praneeth Media in a statement.
The Telugu version is titled Saahasam Swaasaga Saagipo, which has Naga Chaitanya in the lead role.
In the backdrop of positive reviews from the critics and a good word of mouth, the stakeholders are hopeful that the business will double over the weekend.
Just days ahead of its release, AYM received a good response from the trade and the filmmakers also stepped up their promotional activities. Academy Award-winner AR Rahman’s music and the popularity of Simbu-Gautham combination has worked in favour of the film from the business standpoint. The actor-director duo in 2010 delivered romantic blockbuster titled Vinnaithandi Varuvaya.