In an exclusive interview to Indian Express, Ragini MMS 2 actress Sunny Leone talks about shedding her adult film actor image, Kishore Kumar as inspiration and experimenting with varied genres.
How did you conceptualise the idea of a tribute to Kishore Kumar?
I entered the industry as a follower of Kishoreda (Kumar) and I still have a lot to learn from him. Before I began my career as a playback singer, I used to sing his songs in hotels. Almas Noor (Princess of Malaysia) emailed me that she is a big fan of Kishoreda and my work. We discussed an album collaboration. Both of us liked the plan and then I met her in Malaysia, where we zeroed in on 12 songs, including Jaane jaan, Kya yehi pyar hai and Tu tu hai wahi, among others. The old melodies have been recreated with a contemporary touch by Jatin Sharma. (See Pics: Sunny Leone celebrates the success of ‘Ragini MMS 2’ with fans)
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
What made you to join the adult entertainment industry?
No one pushed me into this. A local agent back home approached me and as a teenager, it all looked so cool. Having enough money to spend without asking your parents is a dream come true for any teen. I did have fun and honestly, I have no regrets about it.
Before coming here, what was your perception about the adult film industry in India?
The only thing I knew was that India has one of the largest red light districts in the world. I have never been there and I didn’t have any perceptions about it. I had absolutely no clue about the adult industry here, nor did I bother to know about it since the priority for me was to establish myself as a film actor. (In Pics: Sunny Leone celebrates Baby Doll’s success)
I didn’t want to go through the same old drill again.
Is there a conscious effort to avoid doing adult films and concentrate on something different?
Of course. Who wants to stick around doing the same thing? I want to make my mark as an actor in the industry and do
good projects. (Read review: Ragini MMS 2)
But wasn’t your last film, Ragini MMS 2, an adult thriller?
Well, my definition of an adult film is completely different from some people here. When I signed Ragini MMS 2, the film stood out because of its horror elements. It came as a challenge for me to step into a new genre. You will seldom see me doing the same thing again.
Is that the reason why you chose Tina and Lolo, an action film as your next?
Very few know that I love action. Doing physically challenging activities and performing stunts gives me an adrenaline rush. In Tina and Lolo, I will be doing some really sulk when they are down with bruises and injuries, I just fell in love with that feeling.
Speaking of experimenting with genres, is there anything in particular that you are keen on exploring?
I would love to work in a comedy. I truly believe that making people laugh is not that easy, so trying my hand at this genre and making people laugh definitely tops my bucket list. In fact, I don’t mind doing an action-comedy. That would be a perfect mix of two genres that I love.
Is there anyone that you would like to work with?
Shah Rukh Khan because I think his comic timing is brilliant. And Salman Khan.