With Rani Mukerji and Aditya Chopra making it official, Shatrughan Sinha — who had a lot of explaining to do after his “Rani Chopra” gaffe — can finally breathe easy.
The news blast from Yash Raj Films (YRF) about the nuptials of Bollywood’s Most Powerful Man with a much-loved leading lady has all the makings of a Mills & Boon. For over a decade, Rani and Adi’s love story was Bollywood’s best-known secret. Together the couple braved many rumours, industry gossip and a lot of personal turmoil in the form of Adi’s divorce with his first wife Payal and his father Yash Chopra’s death. (Read: Rani wore a Sabyasachi wedding lehenga)
The media speculation about their relationship was quite harsh for Rani who had to deal with it all alone. The Urban Legend that Adi is, he likes to be The Invisible Man. He wasn’t around to answer any queries, so it was all left to Rani. She singlehandedly navigated it for a while till the pressure got to her and she too turned all-elusive on the media. (In Pics: Rani and her love for Sabyasachi outfits)
She would surface only before a film release and for the last few years, every Rani Mukerji interview started with us seeking a clarification on a long list of tabloid stories that she found herself reluctantly starring in. Usually the stories were about her getting engaged. Or married. Or both. Of course she denied them all. She even denied her relationship with Adi, which is a bit of a bummer because everybody knew about it anyway. Well, to each their own. Personal space and all that. (Read: Why is Rani ‘Bhabhi Voldemort for Uday Chopra?)
For all her denials about the affair, Rani honoured the promise she made to her fans in an interview to me, way back in 2007. She vowed that when she gets married she will let the whole world know and to be fair she did that. “Why would I ever need to hide the news of my marriage? I can’t relate with people who hide their marriage. It’s a beautiful thing, so why hide it? But there is not even an iota of truth in this news. I mean, first I need to find a man with whom I want to have a relationship with. Marriage will follow later. And let me assure you that the day I decide to get married, you won’t need to hear about it from my sources. I’ll happily tell my neighbours and their neighbours also,” she told me. If you disregard that bit about ‘finding the man’, she stood by her word. Her official statement was addressed to her fans with deets about her wedding.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
She has waited for this day for a long time so here’s wishing Rani all the happiness. The next time we meet, it will be indeed refreshing to interview her with a different set of questions that don’t begin and end with shaadi. In this instance, shaadi ke side effects are all good.