With Rani Mukerji and Aditya Chopra making it official, Shatrughan Sinha — who had a lot of explaining to do after his “Rani Chopra” gaffe — can finally breathe easy.
The news blast from Yash Raj Films (YRF) about the nuptials of Bollywood’s Most Powerful Man with a much-loved leading lady has all the makings of a Mills & Boon. For over a decade, Rani and Adi’s love story was Bollywood’s best-known secret. Together the couple braved many rumours, industry gossip and a lot of personal turmoil in the form of Adi’s divorce with his first wife Payal and his father Yash Chopra’s death. (Read: Rani wore a Sabyasachi wedding lehenga)
The media speculation about their relationship was quite harsh for Rani who had to deal with it all alone. The Urban Legend that Adi is, he likes to be The Invisible Man. He wasn’t around to answer any queries, so it was all left to Rani. She singlehandedly navigated it for a while till the pressure got to her and she too turned all-elusive on the media. (In Pics: Rani and her love for Sabyasachi outfits)
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
She would surface only before a film release and for the last few years, every Rani Mukerji interview started with us seeking a clarification on a long list of tabloid stories that she found herself reluctantly starring in. Usually the stories were about her getting engaged. Or married. Or both. Of course she denied them all. She even denied her relationship with Adi, which is a bit of a bummer because everybody knew about it anyway. Well, to each their own. Personal space and all that. (Read: Why is Rani ‘Bhabhi Voldemort for Uday Chopra?)
For all her denials about the affair, Rani honoured the promise she made to her fans in an interview to me, way back in 2007. She vowed that when she gets married she will let the whole world know and to be fair she did that. “Why would I ever need to hide the news of my marriage? I can’t relate with people who hide their marriage. It’s a beautiful thing, so why hide it? But there is not even an iota of truth in this news. I mean, first I need to find a man with whom I want to have a relationship with. Marriage will follow later. And let me assure you that the day I decide to get married, you won’t need to hear about it from my sources. I’ll happily tell my neighbours and their neighbours also,” she told me. If you disregard that bit about ‘finding the man’, she stood by her word. Her official statement was addressed to her fans with deets about her wedding.
She has waited for this day for a long time so here’s wishing Rani all the happiness. The next time we meet, it will be indeed refreshing to interview her with a different set of questions that don’t begin and end with shaadi. In this instance, shaadi ke side effects are all good.