Singer Kelly Clarkson credits comedian and TV personality Steve Harvey with inspiring her to get really soulful on her new album.
The Because of You hitmaker recently dumped the deal she signed with Sony Music’s RCA Records after winning the first season of American Idol back in 2002, and joined the roster at Atlantic Records.
At the time of the June announcement, Clarkson revealed the album she had started working on drew on her love of soul and R&B music, confessing “it’s a record that I have been wanting to make since I was a little girl, and a record that fans have been asking me to make for years”.Now, the 34-year-old singer has revealed it was actually
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
Now, the 34-year-old singer has revealed it was actually Harvey who encouraged her to embrace the more soulful side of her vocals, which she had become known for while on the hit TV talent show, before embarking on a more pop/rock career path for her album releases, reported Contactmusic.
The pair met at US President Barack Obama’s second inauguration back in 2013, when Clarkson performed a moving rendition of “My Country, ‘Tis of Thee”, and a chat with Harvey got her thinking about the direction of her future projects.
“I sang at the Inauguration… and Steve Harvey, one of my favourite people, came up to me and was like, ‘Oh my gosh, I didn’t know you could, like, sing!'” Clarkson said.
The singer said she was initially taken aback by the comment, but she soon realised he meant it as a compliment.
“I was like, ‘What the hell?’. I was like, ‘What have I been doing for 14 years?’ He goes, ‘No, no, no! I like your stuff, but you should be making an album like that. Where’s that record?’ I was like, ‘It’s coming! You’re going to know
“It’s true, I don’t feel like I’ve done a record that’s shown my potential.”