Rihanna’s former publicist, Jonathan Hay, has apologised for starting the rumour that Jay Z cheated on his wife Beyonce with Rihanna.
After J Randy Taraborrelli announced he’s releasing an unauthorized biography of Beyonce Knowles, Jonathan said he was the one who made up the rumours, reported Us magazine.
“It was all a publicity stunt,” Jonathan said.
Of why Jonathan picked that publicity stunt to promote Rihanna, he said, “I was desperate at the time because I wanted to have a hit record.”
He also admitted his decision could be considered reckless as it might put Rihanna in danger, “I agree, we were young and stupid.”
Regarding the infamous elevator fight between Jay-Z and his sister-in-law Solange Knowles at the 2014 Met Gala, Jonathan thought that it wasn’t set up.
- Bengal Warriors edge out Bengaluru Bulls 33-29
- Sajan Prakash wins silver in Asian Indoor Games
- Romelu Lukaku strikes again as Manchester United beat Saints 1-0
- Durga puja inauguration by Babul Supriyo cancelled 'under pressure'
- Kareena's ethnic look or Kangana's western chic: Whose airport style do you like?
- Organisation seeks 'restoration' of rights for Chakma, Hajong tribes
However, he thought the power couple might have exploited it for their “On The Run” tour that summer.
“I don’t think they set it up, that they’re gonna stage a fight but their handlers took advantage of it,” said the music industry publicist.
Jonathan said that he regretted what he did to the people affected by the rumours, especially Beyonce and Rihanna.
“I didn’t think it would be this big story. But now, seeing Beyonce on the cover of this book and knowing that people are profiting from speculations and opinions about her really turns my stomach.”