Formed in 1996 by the students of University of Pennsylvania, Penn Masala is the world’s first Hindi acapella group. Their music has been influenced by the Eastern and Western cultures that represent the group’s membership.
The group has created a buzz on the Web with their latest video, titled ‘Evolution of Bollywood Music’ – featuring a mash-up of Bollywood favourites.
Penn Masala has covered songs right from Mohammed Rafi’s ‘Suhani Raat Dhal Chuki’ to ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’ song, ‘Badmateez Dil’.
The video also includes other popular Bollywood numbers like ‘Mera Joota Hai Japani’, ‘Ina Mina Dika’, ‘Bachna Ae Hassene’, ‘Pehla Nasha’ and ‘Chaiyya Chaiyya’ among others.
Apt costumes and lighting is also used to represent the different eras in Bollywood during the performance.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Penn Masala has released nine albums till date and performs at numerous universities and events around the globe.
Incidentally, high acapella numbers by Alaa Wardi, a Saudi-born Iranian musician are a big rage on YouTube with over a million views. Wardi has become so popular that he has toured India more than once.