In the New Year, noted singer Adnan Sami will become an Indian citizen. He says it’s a “New Year gift”.
Home ministry officials on Thursday said Sami will be granted citizenship on Friday. The Indian citizenship was granted after he made a representation to the home ministry on May 26 requesting for it on humanitarian grounds.
“This is the New Year gift for me. I am thankful to the Indian government. I am very happy today,” Sami, who is of Pakistani origin, told reporters here.
Born in Britain and hitherto a Canadian citizen, Sami has been living in India on visa since March 2001. He was last given a visa extension in October this year.
The singer, who became a sensation in the country with hit songs like “Kabhi to nazar milao” and “Lift karaa de”, spoke to the media before leaving for Mumbai airport to catch a flight to the capital on Thursday.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Sami, who is known for playing a variety of musical instruments and is a known name for his distinct voice, has always maintained that the love he has received from Indian citizens is “everything” for him.
“When my first album came out, it wasn’t Bollywood. The love that I received from people was everything and it still is everything for me. After 16 years, it is not just the land where I work, but also my home and my love,” Sami, who has sung in Bollywood movies and even for albums, had said at a conclave here earlier this year.
His last Bollywood track was “Bhar do jholi”, which featured in Salman Khan’s blockbuster “Bajrangi Bhaijaan”.