LGBT community unclear about my project: Monica Dogra

Singer-actress Monica Dogra thinks people aren't clear about the details of her project.

By: Indo-Asian News Service | New Delhi | Published: July 2, 2015 7:07 pm
Monica Dogra, LGBT, LGBT community, Monica Dogra news, Monica Dogra updates, Monica Dogra LGBT community, entertainment news After facing criticism on social media for asking fans to crowdfund Rs.50 lakhs for her art project titled “Shiver”, singer-actress Monica Dogra thinks people aren’t clear about the details of her project.

“…I don’t think that the LGBT community is completely clear on all the intricacies of this project because it was just too much information to include in the first campaign page. I really didn’t think that it was necessary, that, of course I realised was untrue, and that they would like all of the details to be revealed,” Monica told IANS over phone from Mumbai.

She also remarked that if it’s okay to spend “tens of crores” on Bollywood films then Rs.50 lakhs is not a big sum for an art project aimed at empowering the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community.

“…I think it’s important to ask why it’s okay to spend tens of crores on Bollywood films and songs but it’s not okay to have a (Rs.)50 lakhs project of a music video and art inspiration on transgender visibility,” said Monica, who has appeared in films like “Dhobi Ghat” and “The Spectacular Jihad of Taz Rahim”.

The project, which aims to “take on the double-fold agenda” of mainstreaming transgender representation in pop culture and also to take on the gender binaries that exist and destroy them, will employ members from the LGBT community.

The 32-year-old actress says she has spoken to people from the community and they are “excited” about it.

“Some of the details I will not be revealing but many of them will be clarified through interviews such as this. The amount of money that I’m asking for which is the budget of Rs.50 lakhs, which is our goal and it includes the music video, the art inspiration along with the live performances which ultimately will employ members of the LGBT community as equal partners in this video,” she quipped.

Monica, who is one half of the electronic duo Shaa’ir and Func, said the budget isn’t as excessive as it is believed to be.

“From what I understand, there is a sentiment that this is like a completely exorbitant and unjust amount of money to ask for but that’s an assumption that I’d like to collapse because anyone who works in mainstream entertainment reproduction can testify that the amount of money that it costs to produce work at such a high level — Rs.50 lakhs is actually not a large budget at all,” she said.

For Monica, “Shiver” is her way of contributing to a human rights movement and she doesn’t know why it was “misinterpreted”.

“From the inception of this project my only intention was contributing to human rights activism through something that I feel really passionate about. I don’t understand how that could possibly be misinterpreted,” she said.

As a citizen of India, Monica feels it’s important for her to stand up for human rights.

“I’ve not been marginalised to the extent of the LGBT community. I have not had birth rights revoked as a result of my sexual orientation but as an empathetic and connected citizen of India, I have a responsibility to stand up for human rights,” she said.

Stressing that her association with the LGBT community has been long standing, Monica, who was invited for a panel discussion on improving mainstream visibility on transgenders here, said that the assumption is “completely false.”

“I think that the biggest issue is that there is a very wrong assumption that my association and communication with the LGBT community has only just begun… But I want to reiterate that’s a false assumption and it’s just not true,” she said.

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App

1. Romi Abhimanyu
    Jan 19, 2016 at 5:17 pm
    This woman is a liar, on many levels and ways.... I saw her video on youtube where she claims to be Kashmiri, though her surname is Dogra. The Dogras are a completely different ethnic group from Kashmiris (i know, being one myself) and are spread over three states, only one of which is JandK. There are negligible Dogras in Kashmir and are all migrants from Jammu. If you hear her TedEx talk, you will see her for the silly, holier-than-thou showoff she is (the type who thinks a fancy American accent enles you to nationwide fame in India). She disparages others for no reason other than to appear better than them, and what one is constrained to ask is, why is she in India if she finds the people so lacking? She got all her fame right here, and back in America (which she waves at you like a flag constantly), she would be just another hick, albeit brown.
      Arnav K
      Jul 2, 2015 at 8:07 pm
      She does understand the difference between a the for-profit Bollywood industry and om art funding or is she too silly and naive to see that?
        Rahul Ramesh
        Jul 2, 2015 at 8:42 pm
        Her explanations offer nothing new, merely the same gibberish paraphrased. People who don’t actually care for this issue, and will take fat pay cheques home, are working on this. If you truly claim to support the LGBT community, make everyone donate their paycheck to the cause and just fund the production cost. I can ure you it will be within 10 lakhs at max. Give 40 Lakhs to the organizations who can actually make an on ground difference to the hijras. I mean can you imagine the amount of begging hijras who will benefit from 40 effin lakh?! And I’d just like to say that the Bollywood analogy doesn’t work or justify anything. Bollywood is a commercial industry with a revenue model. You are doing a CHARITABLE video. Big difference. People pay to watch bollywood and this video will just have some Youtube hits. Even if you get a billion hits on the video, who takes home all that money?! No clear answers. If you ume that an average hijra needs 8000 a month to get by without begging. With 50L, you can support 52 Hijras a year, giving them a respectable life. Do that and get a couple of amateurs to make a video of that pro bono. Heck, make a video of that with your cellphone Monica, and you’ll get infinitely more credibility and reach that you will with a hipster music video. 99% of the hijras in India don’t know high art and couldn’t care less about it. If you tell them about it, they’ll probably just say “Aye Dena!” clapping there hands. You need help change that. Not make a video which will get rave reviews from the so called ‘high-art’ connoisseurs, everyone will say “Oh my god wow loved the arty shot background makeup your dance skillz b mad bruh you da next John McCartney” and then go on with their lives.
          Jul 4, 2015 at 10:31 am
          She deleted all the comments from various LGBT activists and artists on the Ketto Website.... Ooooo cultural fascist!
            Jul 4, 2015 at 10:32 am