Rapper Kanye West has become the recipient of an advanced college degree after officials at the school of the Art Institute Of Chicago (Saic) in Illinois awarded him an honorary doctorate.
The 37-year-old Chicago native quit school to pursue a career in hip-hop and even named his debut album The College Dropout to acknowledge the fact, reported the New York Daily News.
Wearing a traditional cap and gown, West gave a brief speech to his fellow graduates after he was handed the honorary diploma.
- An Express Investigation: Want an honorary doctorate? Will help if you are in power
- Vir Das becomes the first Indian comedian to get a doctorate honour
- Rajnath Singh at Lucknow University: Difference in politicians’ words and deeds affected people’s trust
- When you’re the best, you get hated the most: Kanye West
- Kanye West to receive honorary doctorate for artistic ability
- Ben Affleck receives honorary doctorate
“You don’t have to defend me as much. And I’m going to make all of our lives easier. Whether it’s the co-sign of Paul MCCartney grabbing me and saying, ‘It’s OK, he doesn’t bite white people’, or the New York Times cover. Or the Time ‘Most Influential’ cover. And now, a doctorate at the Art Institute of Chicago…,” he said.
The father of one joins an impressive list of artists who have received honorary doctorates from SAIC. They include Patti Smith, artist Jeff Koons and writer David Sedaris.