The Indian music fraternity including sarod maestro Amjad Ali Khan and composer AR Rahman today hailed the announcement of American music legend Bob Dylan bagging the Nobel Literature Prize, calling it a “proud moment” for all musicians.
The surprise announcement by the Swedish Academy in Stockholm was also welcomed as a “marvellous and amazing decision” with noted lyricist Javed Akhtar saying it proves that music can also be a part of literature. 75-year-old Dylan, whose most popular songs include Blowin’ in the Wind, Mr Tambourine Man, Like a Rolling Stone and A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall, was cited “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”.
Khan said he is happy that a musician has received the honour and called Dylan a “deserving candidate” for the Nobel Prize.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
“He has given so much happiness and good music to people. This is the beauty of music that as a musician of any country we are connected with each other because we work with the same seven notes.”
Rahman, in a Facebook post, thanked Dylan for influencing him with the songs and transporting people to an alternate world.
“#ARRahman, #VishweshKrishnamoorthy & the team of ’99 Songs’, celebrate the noble peace prize award for #BobDylan and want to thank him for influencing three generations with his songs, transporting people from their crazy lives to an alternate world.”
Akhtar said he was very excited to learn the news. “I am very excited. As a matter of fact, it is so wonderful to know that people are not rejecting or accepting things by genre but by quality. We tend to be puritan about certain things. If it is a song it is not taken as literature. Ghazals and ‘nasam’ are considered literature. Bob is a great guy. He is a man who created a moment,” Akhtar said.
Veteran singer Usha Uthup said she was “very excited” and the excitement is not going to die down. “It is such an exciting moment. This is an amazing
“It is such an exciting moment. This is an amazing decision for people who think that song is part of a liberation. This is a marvellous decision. I am elated.” Singer Adnan Sami, composer-singer Vishal Dadlani and Shilpa Rao took to Twitter to share how Dylan’s works helped shape their music.
“Can’t even express my joy! #BobDylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature! This is AWESOME! His songs shaped the meaning of freedom for me!” Dadlani tweeted.
— Adnan Sami (@AdnanSamiLive) October 13, 2016
“Congratulations to @bobdylan !! Extremely well deserved!! #BobDylan. Your music will impact the world only when your Melody becomes ‘one’ with the emotions of your Soul… #Music #Passion #Soul,” Sami wrote. “Here’s to celebrating lyrics and lyricists
Can’t even express my joy! #BobDylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature! This is AWESOME! His songs shaped the meaning of freedom for me!
— VISHAL DADLANI (@VishalDadlani) October 13, 2016
“Here’s to celebrating lyrics and lyricists #NobleforDylan,” Rao tweeted.