Pakistani ghazal maestro Ghulam Ali and his son will be performing at a function in the city on January 12, it was announced here on Tuesday.
The legendary singer, whose concert was cancelled in Mumbai last year, would be performing at an event organised by the West Bengal Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (WBMDFC) at the city’s Park Circus Maidan.
“Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was eager to host the legendary singer and accordingly we wrote to Ghulam Ali urging him to perform here. He has confirmed his participation at the event,” Trinamool Congress MP and WBMDFC chairman Sultan Ahmed told IANS.
Allaying fears of any opposition to the event in the wake of the terror attack at the Indian Air Force base in Punjab’s Pathankot, Ahmed said elaborate security arrangements will be made.
“Several eminent personalities including the chief minister will be present at the event. Elaborate security arrangements will be put in place,” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Announcing the event on Twitter, Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha member Derek O’Brien said: “Pete Seeger performed at a peace concert at Park Circus Maidan Kolkata in the early 1960s. The music plays on… 2016 Jan 12 Ghulam Ali.”
After the cancelation of his concert in Mumbai due to threats by the Shiv Sena, Ghulam Ali in November had expressed his disappointment asserting “never to return to India”.
Mamata Banerjee had offered Kolkata as a venue following the cancelation of the Mumbai concert in October.