Pakistani ghazal maestro Ghulam Ali and his son will be performing at a function in the city on January 12, it was announced here on Tuesday.
The legendary singer, whose concert was cancelled in Mumbai last year, would be performing at an event organised by the West Bengal Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (WBMDFC) at the city’s Park Circus Maidan.
“Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was eager to host the legendary singer and accordingly we wrote to Ghulam Ali urging him to perform here. He has confirmed his participation at the event,” Trinamool Congress MP and WBMDFC chairman Sultan Ahmed told IANS.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Allaying fears of any opposition to the event in the wake of the terror attack at the Indian Air Force base in Punjab’s Pathankot, Ahmed said elaborate security arrangements will be made.
“Several eminent personalities including the chief minister will be present at the event. Elaborate security arrangements will be put in place,” he said.
Announcing the event on Twitter, Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha member Derek O’Brien said: “Pete Seeger performed at a peace concert at Park Circus Maidan Kolkata in the early 1960s. The music plays on… 2016 Jan 12 Ghulam Ali.”
After the cancelation of his concert in Mumbai due to threats by the Shiv Sena, Ghulam Ali in November had expressed his disappointment asserting “never to return to India”.
Mamata Banerjee had offered Kolkata as a venue following the cancelation of the Mumbai concert in October.