Two songwriters have sued Ed Sheeran for more than $20 million, claiming that the British singer’s hit song “Photograph” bears a “striking similarity” to a song they penned for a onetime winner of “The X Factor”.
Martin Harrington and Tom Leonard filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles, alleging Sheeran’s hit sounds suspiciously similar to a 2012 song released by British singer Matt Cardle, who won the seventh season of “X Factor”.
- Who is Ed Sheeran? Here's a playlist of his top songs
- Ed Sheeran arrives in Mumbai for Divide concert
- Ed Sheeran's arm injury to affect his India concert?
- Ed Sheeran's 'Shape Of You' becomes the most watched international video in India
- WATCH: After Ed Sheeran's debut, Game of Thrones cast sing Shape of You
- Don’t Look Back in Anger
They’re seeking a jury trial and damages in excess of $20 million, as well as royalties from the song, reported People magazine.
“Photograph” was a top 10 hit in the US, for Sheeran, and the official music video has been viewed more than 200 million times on YouTube.