Cast: Rajeev Khandelwal, Madalsa Sharma, Girish Karnad, Priyanshu Chatterjee, Gopal Dutt, Indraneil Sengupta, Rajneish Duggal, Smita Jaykar
Director: Kaushik Ghatak
When the chief sleuth in the movie goes by the unlovely handle of STD, you know what you are in for. The full name is Samrat Tilakdhari, just in case you were wondering. And no, it doesn’t get any better.
There’s a tribute paid upfront to Sherlock Holmes, but the filmmakers are also fans of Robert Downey Jr’s playing of the great detective. Rajeev Khandelwal, who plays STD, is to be found in a ring, just the way Downey Jr did, pulping an opponent, and then making a young lady’s jaw drop by his rapid-fire deductions about where she is from, and how long she has travelled to get to him.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Turns out that the pretty Dimpy ( Madalsa) is here to ferry the detective back to Shimla where her wealthy father Mahendra Pratap Singh( Karnad) is being menaced by strange things. STD and his dear Watson, called Chakradhar Pandey aka CD ( Dutt) reach the estate, and a series of mysterious deaths begin, starting with the dad.
Khandelwal plays STD at an unintentionally funny full tilt. Which means he wears a trenchcoat ( all ‘tecs have to wear trenchcoats), but thankfully no trilby. He leaps about and speaks very fast, but cannot help the molasses-slow pace of ‘Samrat & Co’, which takes two-and-a-half hours to solve what should have been done in a 40 min episode.
The script allows for lots of silliness, and clueless characters, and sad clues. The combination would have been just right for a parody, but here everyone Is dead serious. Dead bodies tumble out of outhouses, bombs get placed in cars, girls strum guitars, and it is all meant to be suspenseful and shivery, as loud background music swells every now and then.
I’m all for murder mysteries and brainy sleuths, but this one made me slump in my chair. The biggest mystery remains : when will we get a great one?
(Follow Shubhra Gupta on Twitter
You can also send your feedback at email@example.com )