Cast: Rajeev Khandelwal, Madalsa Sharma, Girish Karnad, Priyanshu Chatterjee, Gopal Dutt, Indraneil Sengupta, Rajneish Duggal, Smita Jaykar
Director: Kaushik Ghatak
When the chief sleuth in the movie goes by the unlovely handle of STD, you know what you are in for. The full name is Samrat Tilakdhari, just in case you were wondering. And no, it doesn’t get any better.
There’s a tribute paid upfront to Sherlock Holmes, but the filmmakers are also fans of Robert Downey Jr’s playing of the great detective. Rajeev Khandelwal, who plays STD, is to be found in a ring, just the way Downey Jr did, pulping an opponent, and then making a young lady’s jaw drop by his rapid-fire deductions about where she is from, and how long she has travelled to get to him.
Turns out that the pretty Dimpy ( Madalsa) is here to ferry the detective back to Shimla where her wealthy father Mahendra Pratap Singh( Karnad) is being menaced by strange things. STD and his dear Watson, called Chakradhar Pandey aka CD ( Dutt) reach the estate, and a series of mysterious deaths begin, starting with the dad.
Khandelwal plays STD at an unintentionally funny full tilt. Which means he wears a trenchcoat ( all ‘tecs have to wear trenchcoats), but thankfully no trilby. He leaps about and speaks very fast, but cannot help the molasses-slow pace of ‘Samrat & Co’, which takes two-and-a-half hours to solve what should have been done in a 40 min episode.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The script allows for lots of silliness, and clueless characters, and sad clues. The combination would have been just right for a parody, but here everyone Is dead serious. Dead bodies tumble out of outhouses, bombs get placed in cars, girls strum guitars, and it is all meant to be suspenseful and shivery, as loud background music swells every now and then.
I’m all for murder mysteries and brainy sleuths, but this one made me slump in my chair. The biggest mystery remains : when will we get a great one?
(Follow Shubhra Gupta on Twitter
You can also send your feedback at email@example.com )