This film should have been called The Social Network Part 2. Or Twitter. Or Vine. Or, even, Facebook. Because it is not just about a failed chef trying to hack a living. Or a father getting to know his neglected son. Or a little boy growing up. Or a road trip involving a food truck and delicious Cuban sandwiches and eager buyers. It’s about how all of these things—threads in ‘Chef’s storyline– can be achieved only if you can tweet as fast as you can flip a burger.
The film starts out with a real story. LA-based master chef Carl Casper ( Favreau) wants to impress a hard-nosed food blogger with a bespoke menu, but is stymied by the conservative restaurant’s owner ( Hoffman). The blogger’s rant goes viral; so does Carl’s coloufully abusive retort. Then begins, start ticking off now, the cooking up a storm for the drop-dead sexy restaurant hostess ( Johansson), getting closer to son ( Anthony), manning up said son while re-discovering his curvy ex-spouse ( Vergara) and her ex-spouse ( Downey Jr). And, of course, searching for a direction.
There are no surprises here. But that’s not much of a surprise, given the way this film opens, sets itself up and goes its good-natured but sluggish way. The nice parts involve all the lovely food : I promise you will salivate, especially when Favreau plates up some mean herbed glistening-in-seasoning spaghetti. The rest of the cast– the burly master chef, his faithful second-in-command ( Leguizamo), the always-online smart sonny boy, the permanently immaculate Vergara, the too rich ex husband– all do their bit, making `Chef’ a moderately absorbing watch.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
It would have been a more savoury morsel if it had been a little cautious about the online forces it tries to harness : like a cartoon film, it has too many hashtag ready tweety bird cheeping and flying across the screen. What is this, film as promotional tool for a social networking site?
A Cuban sandwich gets over, leaving an empty plate : a tweet is forever.
(Follow Shubhra Gupta on Twitter
You can also send your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org )