Produced and Directed and written and acted and edited and sung by Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insaan
Oh my eyes. I was at last night’s premiere of ‘MSG, Messenger Of God’, and I’m still to recover. The Dera Sacha Sauda chief who appears In and As in the movie, was right there, amongst us lesser mortals. And I was hard put to figure where there was more glitter, off or on screen.
But make no mistake, ‘MSG’ is no movie. It is a lavish home video shot in a very homely style (‘coz silly sophistication would ruin it, no?), fashioned cunningly like your old-style Bollywood potboiler, for the delectation of his vast number of fan-followers. It can also be called In Which Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insaan Saves The World In 197 Minutes. (Also Read: MSG Sneak peek)
‘Koi kehta hai sant, koi kehta hai farishta, koi kehta hai guru, koi kehta hai bhagwaan, par hum toh hai sirf ek Insaan!’ With this declaration, at which thunderous applause ensues amongst the genuflecting ‘bhakts’ in the tony South Delhi auditorium, ‘The Messenger Of God‘ starts ticking off his list. Drugs? Dhishoom. Alcohol? Dhadaam. Bald baddie speaking bad English out to assassinate him? Bang bang.
At each dialogue, his followers, a motley collection of peroxide fashionistas in killer heels carrying holdall – sized bags which cost upwards of a lakh, modest salwaar-kameez clad old ladies, hyper-excited little kids (one jumped up and down through the film, pumping his fist), roared approval. It was like being at a live sporting event, with arenas on both sides.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Like all superheroes, MSG too has a secret weapon: a liquid called ‘ruhaani jam’. Make no mistake, it is no evil intoxicant; it is a potent potion which will rid of you all desire to partake of ‘sharaab’. And doubtless send you straight off to do ‘khoon daan’. Yea, MSG believes in blood donation on a massive scale: the camera pulls back and we see rows and rows of smiling supine bodies, all busily donating away.
It could easily be a 70s style masala film, starring the invincible hero, the sorry buffoon who is the butt of all jokes, the mandatory vaguely foreign-looking-and-sounding bad guy (this one looked a lot like Vin Diesel), and also, ta dsa, a blonde bimbette gushing all over the place (please, please, can I make a documentary on you, please, please, says she; he nods benignly, and she is in paroxysms). And the car-and-motorbike chases.
The ‘film’ is long and excruciatingly awful only for non-believers. For his adoring followers, each scene is a super-hit. If Bollywood can, why can’t MSG? If Amitabh could do it back in the early 80s (remember Yaarana), why can’t he have suits with every single primary coloured sequin stitched in? Like Salman, he has his bank of pithy sayings. Like Ajay, he strides slo-mo. And unlike those that Aamir Khan’s ‘PK’ castigated, he has a direct connection to the Almighty: what else is a Love Charger ( pronounced Charzer, I’ll have you know) for?
Now waiting, with bated breath, for the MSG Fashion Line.