A comely young thing ensnares unsuspecting young men, leads them on, and decamps with everything : broken hearts, hurt egos and wedding loot. ‘Dolly Ki Doli’ has a great idea, and starts off well, but then falls into a familiar trap– of a single-track leading lady piloting a half-baked plot.
Dolly (Sonam Kapoor), pronounced Doleee by her lovelorn beau (Rajkummar Rao), who is not a miss goody-two-shoes and who wants to be her own person, should have been a Bollywood triumph. It’s so hard to get films top lining heroines, and even harder for them to find the right story to do so. Sonam Kapoor is in almost every frame, and should have filled them all. But the plotting and the treatment of the character shows up Sonam Kapoor’s limitations: she is good-natured, but not versatile.
The con is conducted with an eye on detail, but one cries out to be challenged. Dolly comes in carrying a potion on her ‘suhaagraat’, said drink which has the power to provide deeper shut eye than is natural. In goes the liquid, out come the snores, and off goes the bride. First time, funny haha, but many times over, plain tiresome.
The film has an overpowering Haryanvi-Punjabi vibe, so you need to keep your ears peeled ( and protected, when it comes to the shrieky Puran Singh). The best of the ensemble is Rajkummar Rao, who does wet-eyed dolefulness brilliantly. So is Ayyub, whom the film doesn’t know what to do with. He is left trailing. Samrat and Sharma make up the rest of the gaggle of guys-who-woo Dolly : the former plays a cop who knows a secret, and the latter wants her to put out, but both are bland.
Ultimately, ‘Dolly Ki Doli’ is neither biting social comment, nor unfettered fun.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016