Superhero sequel ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ dominated China’s box office by raking in 286 million yuan ( USD 45.9 million) or some 60 per cent of the domestic box office in six days of its release.
Though the Spider-Man movie is yet to catch up with “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” which raked in more than 700 million yuan in China, it still achieved more than the previous four Spider-Man movies, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
Sony’s Spider-Man franchise was one of the first superhero movies to be introduced to China. Chinese Spidey fans never had the chance to see Tobey Maguire in the role, with his 2002 first entry in the series only earning 43 million yuan in China.
Other box office winners include “My Old Classmate,” a love story between two university classmates. Released on April 25, the film has made more than 400 million yuan, a similar success to last year’s “So Young,” a youth romance movie which took in 710 million yuan.
In third place last week was “The Great Hypnotist,” a thriller starring “Lost in Thailand” lead Xu Zheng.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016