Oscar Awards 2016 are around the corner and fans have started rooting for their favourites, be it in the Best Film category, Best Actor (Male), Best Actor (Female), Best Director or any other category. The best will win on the 28th February. This year, the movies which have been nominated in the best picture category are ‘The Revenant’, ‘Room’, ‘Spotlight, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’, ‘The Martian’, ‘The Big Short’, ‘Bridge of Spies’ and ‘Brooklyn’.
Leonardo DiCaprio, as DiCaprio does, gives this film all he has got, and more, as he crawls, strips, grunts and grates, and is butchered and butchers in return, for revenge. Three stars. (Read: The Revenant movie review: Leonardo DiCaprio gives this film all he has got)
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Mark Ruffalo’s film is a gripping portrait of what happens when institutions decide they are bigger than the people who make them. Four-and-a-half stars. ( Read: Room movie review: what if the world is no bigger than a small room)
The first part of Room ends with Jack’s flight — almost too quickly. The rest, dealing with their life in the world outside, is more predictable, more practical. Four stars. (Read: Spotlight movie review: Mark Ruffalo’s film shines its light on the dark recesses where the truth hid)
The Big Short:
Directed by Adam McKay ‘The Big Short’ stars Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Arnon Milchan and Brad Pitt.
Bridge of Spies:
“What defines us both as American? It is the Constitution, that is the only rule book.” That’s James B Donovan speaking, and once again Steven Spielberg hits the nail on the head with a film so politically astute for its times. Three-and-a-half-stars.
Starring Saoirse Ronan, Emory Cohen, Domhnall Gleeson, Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters, Brooklyn has been directed by John Crowley.
Mad Max: Fury Road:
Many old Mad Max fans are heartbroken at Charlize Theron being the real hero of this film. Nicholas Hoult is the closest in the acting department to Theron as Joe’s “war boy” chasing imagined glory, while Tom Hardy is all lips. four stars.
Glee is the underlying narrative of from this surprisingly optimistic space tale the director who gave us Alien. ‘Man stranded on Mars’ is just the setting. Three-and-a-half-stars.