Matt Damon received a lot of backlash online for interrupting black female producer during the premiere of season four of his HBO show ‘Project Greenlight’.
In the episode, “The Martian” star, 44, is having a heated discussion with producer Effie Brown about the importance of diversity in Hollywood, often interrupting and talking over her, reported Us magazine.
She is trying to explain that the only black character in the film is a prostitute getting beaten by her pimp, urging the all-white team to make sure the character doesn’t fall into a racist stereotype.
Unfortunately, Damon seemingly suggests that diversity behind the camera does not matter. “When we’re talking about diversity, you do it in the casting of the film, not in the casting of the show,” Damon says in the clip, which quickly started circulating online.
- Matt Damon to receive Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award
- Golden Globes 2016: Sylvester Stallone, Matt Damon, John Hamm, Kate Winslet are big winners
- Matt Damon: 'The Martian' not all science fiction
- Matt Damon apolgises for his opinion on diversity in Hollywood
- Ben Affleck is doing great: Matt Damon
- Ben Affleck and Matt Damon to team up
Brown looks shocked before saying, “Wow, okay.” Soon the hashtag “#Damonsplaining” started trending online.
“Matt Damon is… still a White man, y’all,” one person tweeted while another wrote, “The struggle to NOT talk over a Black woman tends to be really strong for many of them.”