Martin Sheen has praised his actor son Charlie following the “Platoon” star’s confirmation he is living with HIV.
“I couldn’t believe the level of courage I was witnessing,” the “West Wing” star said at an event in Florida.
“I hope that this day is the first day of the rest of Charlie’s life as a free man,” addded the 75-year-old actor.
- Charlie Sheen accused of raping 13-year-old Corey Haim, actor denies accusation
- I may be bipolar: Charlie Sheen
- I’ve no sympathy for Charlie Sheen: Burt Reynolds
- Charlie Sheen to sell house bought for ex Brooke Mueller?
- I felt powerless during son Charlie’s meltdown: Martin Sheen
- Charlie Sheen wants to run for US Presidency in 2016
Charlie Sheen ended days of intense media speculation by confirming he is HIV positive in a NBC TV interview.
“I have to put a stop to this onslaught, this barrage of attacks and of sub-truths,” Sheen told Today show host Matt Lauer, adding he was diagnosed four years ago.
“It’s a hard three letters to absorb,” the 50-year-old went on, saying his “shame and anger” at the initial diagnosis led to “substance abuse and fathomless drinking”.