She was the queen of Hollywood’s award season and now actress Lupita Nyong’o has been declared as the most beautiful woman by a magazine.
The 31-year-old star, who won the best supporting actress Oscar for her poignant portrayal of slave girl Patsey in Steve McQueen’s ’12 Years a Slave’, says growing up she never thought she would be called beautiful.
“It was exciting and just a major, major compliment. I was happy for all the girls who would see me on [it] and feel a little more seen,” the 31-year-old star said about landing on the cover of People magazine.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Born in Mexico and raised in Kenya, Nyong’o says she first equated beauty with what she saw on television:
“Light skin and long, flowing, straight hair. Subconsciously you start to appreciate those things more than what you possess.”
Her mother “always said I was beautiful,” Nyong’o adds. “And I finally believed her at some point.”
Now she says the best compliments are “when I have been called beautiful with not one drop of makeup on. And also before I comb my hair or put on a pretty dress. Happiness is the most important thing.”