She was the queen of Hollywood’s award season and now actress Lupita Nyong’o has been declared as the most beautiful woman by a magazine.
The 31-year-old star, who won the best supporting actress Oscar for her poignant portrayal of slave girl Patsey in Steve McQueen’s ’12 Years a Slave’, says growing up she never thought she would be called beautiful.
“It was exciting and just a major, major compliment. I was happy for all the girls who would see me on [it] and feel a little more seen,” the 31-year-old star said about landing on the cover of People magazine.
Born in Mexico and raised in Kenya, Nyong’o says she first equated beauty with what she saw on television:
“Light skin and long, flowing, straight hair. Subconsciously you start to appreciate those things more than what you possess.”
Her mother “always said I was beautiful,” Nyong’o adds. “And I finally believed her at some point.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Now she says the best compliments are “when I have been called beautiful with not one drop of makeup on. And also before I comb my hair or put on a pretty dress. Happiness is the most important thing.”