Actress Kate Winslet has banned her two eldest children from using social media because she worries it will severely damage their self-esteem.
The 40-year-old actress shuns sites like Twitter and Facebook, and she has decided to issue a blanket ban on her teenage daughter Mia and 11-year-old son Joe’s online use to avoid the negative comments youths are often subjected to on the Internet, reported Contactmusic.
The “Steve Jobs” star said, “It has a huge impact on young women’s self-esteem, because all they ever do is design themselves for people to like them.
- Wonder Wheel actor Kate Winslet: Don’t want to be a person who won an Oscar and then disappeared
- Wonder Wheel actor Kate Winslet: I worry about the extra pressure to be ‘perfect’ on girls
- Kate Winslet has banned computers at home
- No social media for Kate Winslet, her children
- No women in my life were positive about body image: Kate Winslet
- Kate Winslet flees to Mexico after announcing divorce
“And what comes along with that? Eating disorders. And that makes my blood boil. And that is the reason we don’t have social media in our house.”