Oscar-winner Jennifer Lawrence won the Golden Globe for Best supporting actress on Sunday for her role as the loopy wife of a con man in “American Hustle,” the first major honour of the inaugural ceremony in the 2014 Hollywood awards season.
“American Hustle,” a romp through 1970s corruption in New York, is one of the frontrunners for the 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards, an important but not entirely accurate barometer for the film industry’s highest honors, the Academy Awards to be held on March 2.
Lawrence gave a breathless acceptance speech, thanking the film’s director, David O. Russell, for making her career what it is today after she won a best actress Oscar last year for his previous film, “Silver Linings Playbook.”
“I don’t know why I’m so scared … I’m sorry I’m shaking so much. Don’t ever do this again,” Lawrence said, kicking off the show hosted by comic actors Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.
“American Hustle” leads nominees with seven nods along with “12 Years a Slave,” the brutal depiction of pre-Civil War slavery. They are competing for best motion picture in different categories, comedy or musical and drama, respectively.
“Gravity,” starring Sandra Bullock as an astronaut lost in space and life, also ranks high in experts’ predictions and could give “12 Years a Slave” a challenge for the night’s most coveted award, best drama.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Golden Globes, under the purview of some 90 journalists in the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, have outsized clout in the awards race as buzz around these first honors influences members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in their voting for the Oscars.
Oscar nominations will be announced on Thursday, but voting has already concluded. The Globes have a mixed record when it comes to predicting the Oscar best picture, though last year’s best drama winner, “Argo,” did go on to win the Academy Award for best movie.