George Clooney is stepping behind the camera again to direct a new film on the infamous
phone-hacking scandal. Inspired by the book ‘Hack Attack’ by Nick Davies, the upcoming film will expose the News of the World’s hacking into the voicemail messages of elected officials, celebrities and even ordinary British citizens, said the Hollywood Reporter.
Clooney, 53, is also producing the film alongside Grant Heslov and Michael De Luca.
“This has all the elements – lying, corruption, blackmail – at the highest levels of government by the biggest newspaper in London. And the fact that it’s true is the best part. Nick is a brave and stubborn reporter and we consider it an honour to put his book to film,” Clooney said in a statement.
The movie will be of particular interest to Clooney as his father, Nick, was a noted journalist and politician.
“As the son of a journalist, George has a sharp interest in the role journalism plays in all of our lives — whether that’s for good, as in Good Night, and Good Luck, or for bad,” said De Luca in a statement.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“With Hack Attack, George will explore the dark side of that world, a business where all of the rules of journalism are broken in the race for an easy and ever-larger payday,” De Luca added.
Shooting is scheduled to start next year.
Clooney, who is engaged to marry lawyer Amal Alamuddin, took a stand against another British newspaper Daily Mail for publishing a fictitious story about his fiance.