Comedian Chris Rock is still on board to host the Oscars this year despite calls for him to join the boycott protesting the Academy’s lack of diversity.
Academy Awards producer Reginald Hudlin has, however, revealed that Rock’s opening monologue will address the #OscarsSoWhite conversation in a big way, reported Variety.
Rock reportedly reworked his entire set of jokes when such figures as Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith announced they would be boycotting the ceremony, reported Variety.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“Chris is hard at work. He and his writing staff locked themselves in a room,” Hudlin said.
“As things got a little provocative and exciting, he said, ‘I’m throwing out the show I wrote and writing a new show.’ Chris is that thorough. He’s that brilliant, and I have 1000 percent confidence that he will deliver something that people will be talking about for weeks.”
- We have to handle stuff: Jada Pinkett Smith's on Oscars joke
- Chris Rock transforms Oscars into biting racial commentary
- Chris Rock makes his Oscar opener political, talks racism
- Suspense over Chris Rock monologue at the Oscars
- George Clooney on Oscar nominations: You feel like we're moving in the wrong direction
- Chris Rock in talks to host Oscars 2016
Hudlin indicated that he and his team are prepared for Rock to make some controversial statements.
“And, yes, the Academy is ready for him to do that. They’re excited about him doing that. They know that’s what we need. They know that’s what the public wants, and we deliver what the people want,” Hudlin said.
Confirmation of Rock’s hosting duties come on the heels of the Academy’s Friday announcement that it would overhaul its membership in order to promote diversity, aiming to double its number of female and minority members by the year 2020.