Cate Blanchett’s acclaimed film “Carol” has been named the best Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) movie of all time by the British Film Institute.
A panel of 100 film experts chose the movie, co-starring Rooney Mara, over 30 films spanning 80 years, including British director Andrew Haigh’s “Weekend” and Hong Kong romantic drama “Happy Together”.
The poll was run in conjunction with the 30th anniversary of BFI Flare: London LGBT Film Festival, reported Independent online.
“(Director Todd) Haynes is an absolutely beloved filmmaker inside and outside LGBT cinema circles and this is one of his finest films,” deputy head of festivals BFI Tricia Tuttle said.
“Everyone has their favourite Todd Haynes (film) and this is certainly mine. I voted for it. Given the relative lack of lesbian content in cinema, it is nice to see it come top.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“‘Carol’ is in illustrious company with so many films I love; from ‘Brokeback Mountain’ and ‘Un Chant d’Amour’ to ‘Happy Together’ and ‘My Own Private Idaho’,” Todd added.
“Carol”, which is based on the 1952 novel The Price of Salt, centres on a rich but unhappy married woman who falls in love with a young shop assistant.
The film was nominated for a handful of recent awards, including Oscar nods for Blanchett and Mara.