Angelina Jolie’s latest release ‘Maleficent’ has topped the US box office, grossing USD 70 million in its opening weekend.
Overseas, the live-action fairy tale took in an impressive USD 100.6 million for a worldwide total of USD 170.6 million, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Disney’s dark re-working of Sleeping Beauty shot straight to the number one spot, beating ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ and Seth MacFarlane’s new comedy ‘A Million Ways To Die In The West’, which placed number two and number three respectively.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
‘Godzilla’ moved down to number four with sales of USD 17.06 million, while the top five was rounded out by ‘Blended’, which took USD 8.4 million.
Zac Efron comedy ‘Bad Neighbours’ made USD 7.7 million and ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ kept pulling in audiences with earnings of USD 3.7 million.
‘Million Dollar Arm’, ‘Chef’ and ‘The Other Woman’ also made it to the top 10 list.
‘Maleficent’, featuring Jolie as the infamous sorceress from Sleeping Beauty, marked the best opening of the actress’s career.
In North America, the movie bested the USD 60.2 million launch of ‘Kung Fu Panda’ (2008), the USD 50.9 million grossed by ‘Wanted’ (2008) and the USD 50.3 million debut of ‘Mr & Mrs Smith’ (2005).
‘Maleficent’ also stars Elle Fanning as Princess Auror.