Angelina Jolie’s latest release ‘Maleficent’ has topped the US box office, grossing USD 70 million in its opening weekend.
Overseas, the live-action fairy tale took in an impressive USD 100.6 million for a worldwide total of USD 170.6 million, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Disney’s dark re-working of Sleeping Beauty shot straight to the number one spot, beating ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ and Seth MacFarlane’s new comedy ‘A Million Ways To Die In The West’, which placed number two and number three respectively.
‘Godzilla’ moved down to number four with sales of USD 17.06 million, while the top five was rounded out by ‘Blended’, which took USD 8.4 million.
Zac Efron comedy ‘Bad Neighbours’ made USD 7.7 million and ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ kept pulling in audiences with earnings of USD 3.7 million.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
‘Million Dollar Arm’, ‘Chef’ and ‘The Other Woman’ also made it to the top 10 list.
‘Maleficent’, featuring Jolie as the infamous sorceress from Sleeping Beauty, marked the best opening of the actress’s career.
In North America, the movie bested the USD 60.2 million launch of ‘Kung Fu Panda’ (2008), the USD 50.9 million grossed by ‘Wanted’ (2008) and the USD 50.3 million debut of ‘Mr & Mrs Smith’ (2005).
‘Maleficent’ also stars Elle Fanning as Princess Auror.