Academy Award winner George Clooney has stepped down as a U.N. “Messenger of Peace,” the United Nations said on Monday, suggesting the newly engaged actor did not have enough time for the role promoting the world body’s peacekeeping efforts.
“After six years in this role, Mr. Clooney feels it is time to retire his official role as Messenger of Peace,” said U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric, wishing Clooney well on his engagement to human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin.
“The competing demands on their time from their professional and advocacy lives sometimes make it difficult for high-profile individuals to carry out a formal United Nations role,” he said.
As a messenger of peace, Clooney traveled to Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan. Dujarric said U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon hoped there would be future opportunities for collaboration between Clooney and the United Nations.
In 2010, Clooney helped found the Satellite Sentinel Project, which tracks human rights abuses and mass atrocities in Sudan. “Retiring from his U.N. role will afford him the independence to move forward with this and other personal advocacy projects and activities,” Dujarric said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
When Clooney was named a U.N. Messenger of Peace in 2008, Ban cited his work on raising awareness about violence in Sudan’s conflict-torn western Darfur region, where he advocated for aid for the millions of people displaced by fighting.