Columbian pop star Shakira isn’t happy with Donald Trump, and is the latest celebrity to accuse him of using “hateful and racist speech” when discussing immigration.
Republican presidential candidate Trump has been roundly criticised for appearing to accuse Mexican immigrants of increasing drug crimes and rapes within US borders.
Now, Shakira, 38, has joined the likes of Neil Young, Cher and Bill Maher in condemning Trump’s offensive comments on her Twitter account.
- State of the Union 2018 highlights: Won’t repeat mistakes of past administration, says Trump on North Korea
- Haitians stage protest, mock Donald Trump over ‘shithole’ comments
- ‘Trump lawyer brokered paying $130k a month to adult film star’
- Some media figures call Donald Trump racist after profane remarks
- Trump’s ‘shithole countries’ of Africa remark stirs up a storm; Netizens call him ‘xenophobic, racist’ in reply
- British PM Theresa May criticises Donald Trump for retweeting anti-Muslim videos
“This is a hateful and racist speech that attempts to divide a country that for years has promoted diversity and democracy! No one living in this century should stand behind so much ignorance,” Shakira tweeted.
Trump’s presidential campaign has been dogged by multiple controversies over the last several weeks.
Earlier, he filed a USD 500 million lawsuit against Spanish-language broadcaster Univision for dropping coverage of his Miss USA pageant because of the controversy.
The “Apprentice” host has threatened legal action against NBC for severing their business relationship as well.