Latha briefly worked as a playback singer in Kamal Haasan-starrer ‘Tik Tik Tik’ song “Netru Indha Neram”, “Kadavul Ullamae” from ‘Anbulla Rajinikanth’ and a tribute album on her husband titled ‘Rajini 25’.
She picked up the mic again after many years to sing “Manappenin Sathiyam” for her daughter’s debut film. With Deepika Padukone playing Rajinikanth’s love interest, the film is slated to hit the screens on May 9.
“Rahman and Soundarya discussed and said it would be nice if Amma sings as she wanted her mother to sing and the song suited me well. It was wonderful to go back and sing for Rahman. I have been singing regularly but not for films,” Latha told PTI in an interview.
When asked whether she would step in front of the camera ever, Latha said, “I have enjoyed being behind the scene all the time so I don’t think there is a need for it. I have various other roles to play as a mother, grandmother and educationist. These things keep me busy.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Rajinikanth, 63, has also lent his voice for the film but the husband and wife have voiced different tracks in the movie.
Talking about her life with the superstar, who she married in 1981 after meeting him for an interview for her college magazine, Latha says the family is very conscious of the aura his name carries.
“He is a very normal person. He does not bring his fame to home. But all of us are conscious of the fact that when he steps out there is a kind of aura that goes behind him. We are very thankful to God that he is blessed with it. We try to enjoy from wherever we are.”
And that also includes numerous Rajinikanth jokes that have become popular all over the country.
“We take Rajinikanth jokes positively. We realise that these jokes are talking about his bigness in different ways. We take it like a tribute,” she says.
Latha says Rajinikanth has cut down on his film work post ‘Robot’ and takes only select films now.
‘Kochadaiiyaan’, said to be India’s first motion capture 3D computer-animated film, would serve as the prequel to Rajinikanth’s another project ‘Rana’, which got delayed when the superstar fell ill in 2011.
“‘Rana’ is not decided as yet but this story is connected to ‘Rana’ and in future we will have to see how the sequel comes up,” she said.
Latha, however, is confident about the success of ‘Kochadaiiyaan’ which she says is a bold step in Indian cinema.
“Soundarya was well prepared to take this challenge as she wanted to bring this photo realistic motion capture technology in the line of ‘Avatar’ and ‘Tintin’ to India. This will open up a huge industry here as there is now a scope of making films that are not possible in live action.”
Rajinikanth and Latha’s both daughters – Aishwaryaa and Soundarya – chose filmmaking as a career and Latha feels they have found what they want to do in their life.
Aishwaryaa, who is married to actor Dhanush, made her debut with ‘3’ while ‘Kochadaiiyaan’ is the first film for Soundarya.
“As directors each one has identified what they are good at. They have identified their skills and aptitude and then took to directing. We stand by whatever they do in life,” Latha said.