The death of legendary actress Zohra Sehgal on Thursday (July 10) left the film industry mourning in extreme grief.
No sooner had the news of her demise was out, celebrities from Bollywood and friends and admirers of the live wire personality, took to social media to pay their tributes to her.
Actors, filmmakers, among others shifted between nostalgia and melancholia, in recalling her extraordinary career as actor and choreographer, the twin hats that she wore with equal aplomb.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Filmmaker Madhur Bahndarkar paid his homage by sharing a vintage picture of her from the 1940s on the micro-blogging site. “Zohra Sehgal, during a stage performance…” he said on his account. (Read: The Grand Old Lady of Indian cinema who never aged)
Sehgal, who died at about 4:30 PM in a hospital in the national capital following a cardiac arrest, forever remained
a symbol of joy and energy, both, for those who had the opportunity to work with her and those who just knew her persona through screen.
Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar too expressed his heartfelt tribute. “My condolences on the sad demise of the veteran actress Zohra Sehgal. Her legendary contribution in the field of art & cinema will live on,” he tweeted.
Television producer Siddharth Basu tweeted,” Forever young at heart & in spirit even at 102, the irrepressibly endearing Zohra Sehgal finally belongs to the ages. May she rest in peace.”
Actress Diya Mirza also joined in paying her tribute to the “grand old lady” on Twitter. “102 years of greatness. I
will always love you. Zohraji. RIP. #GrandOldLady of #IndianCinema. #ZohraSehgal.” Mirza said.
Actress Priyanka Chopra called it an honour to know the centenarian, who wowed everyone during her lifetime with her matchless reserves of energy. “102 n a legacy that will always be a part of India cinema. It was an honour to know #ZohraSehgal and to be a part of films while she was. RIP”.