Veteran actress Waheeda Rehman got a standing ovation as she received the inaugural Centenary Award for Indian Film Personality of the Year at the opening ceremony of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) here.
The 77-year-old actress received a standing ovation as she was felicitated on-stage by Bollywood star Rani Mukerji in recognition of her unparalleled contribution to Indian cinema.
The Government of India has instituted the award to commemorate 100 years of Indian Cinema and Rehman said she is thrilled to be the first recipient of this prestigious honour.
“I am really humbled to receive such a great honour. I would like to thank the jury who suggested my name. I would like to thank all the people who I have worked with so far. My directors,producers,make-up artistes,technicians. Thank you for a wonderful journey,” an emotional Rehman said after receiving the honour.
Rehman,who is known for her memorable performance in classics like ‘Pyaasa’,’Kaagaz Ke Phool’,’Guide’ and ‘Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam’,was awarded with a citation,a certificate,a medal (silver peacock),a shawl and a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Several Bollywood stars,who attended the glitzy ceremony,congratulated the Rehman for her her long innings in cinema.
Singer Asha Bhonsle,who has sung for Rehman in several movies,said the actress deserved this laurel.
“I am very happy for Waheedaji. She is getting this prestigious award and she completely deserves it,” Bhonsle said,adding ‘Bhawra bada nadan hain’ is her favourite song by her picturised on Rehman in ‘Sahib,Bibi Aur Ghulam’.
Filmmaker Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra,who has worked with the veteran actress in two films- ‘Rang De Basanti’ and ‘Delhi 6’,said,”On my ten best films list,more than half are movies starring Waheedaji. I had the opportunity to work with her
twice and I am so happy that she is receiving the honour.”
Actor Prem Chopra,who has collaborated with Rehaman in the past,said he is happy to see Rehman receive such a prestigious honour.
“We have worked together several times and the last film we did together was ‘Delhi 6’. I am happy for her. She is an artist who will be remembered all life long,” Chopra said.
Young Bollywood actresses like Huma Qureshi and Alia Bhatt also congratulated the veteran actress.