Suchitra Sen, one of the Bengal’s most celebrated actress passed away this morning at about 8.25 a.m.at Belle Vue Clinic – a private nursing home where she was admitted on December 24.
Suchitra Sen was swinging between life and death for the past 26 days but in the past couple of days had shown signs of improvement. But the infection on her chest proved fatal and she died of cardiac failure this morning, according to doctors.
The news of her death cast a pall of gloom across the city as many of her admirers headed for the private nursing home for a last glimpse of the actress. For the past three weeks she was put on life support system time and again as a team of doctors tried their best for her recovery.
The West Bengal Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee took personal care, monitoring her treatment and visited the nursing home at least six times in the past three weeks, inquiring about her health condition.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Chief minister also happened to be one of the very few persons outside the family to meet the actress, who had kept herself secluded from public eye for several decades and did not allow any audience.
Only yesterday, Dr. Subrata Moitra, the doctor who was treating her had said that she might be discharged if she maintained the improvement she was showing. But her condition deteriorated sharply last night had she was again put on ventilation and the end came early today morning.
Suchitra Sen, who had been living the life of a recluse in a south Kolkata apartment, had worked in memorable Hindi films like ‘Devdas’, and ‘Aandhi’ and ‘Saat Paake Bandha’, ‘Agnipariksha’, ‘Saptapadi’ and ‘Deep Jwele Jai’ in Bengali. (With PTI inputs)