Move over, Naseer. Varun Dhawan is now practicing what Naseeruddin Shah preaches. Method acting. The young actor pulled out all stops-including the one uncorking the alcohol bottle-to lend authenticity to his sozzled scene.
Director Sriram Raghavan has introduced Varun Dhawan to the painful pleasures of method acting. For two of his important dramatic sequences in new-director Shashank Khaitan’s Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania (HSKD), Varun has attempted the acme of authenticity and a level of realism that none of his contemporaries can dream of.
The last time a major star actually got drunk for a film was when Shah Rukh Khan, who normally abstains from alcohol, took to alcohol for the drunken scenes of Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Devdas.
Now Varun, who is rapidly acquiring a reputation for going all-out for his characters, actually hit the bottle while doing a lengthy scene for HSKD.
Since Varun was off alcohol, the sudden indulgence hit him hard. Apparently, the actor had to be physically supported by the crew as he wobbled and stumbled all over.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Varun blames Sriram Raghavan for the unscheduled spot of method acting. Says Varun, “I had finished shooting the first-half of Sriram Raghavan’s film, when I came into the climax of HSKD. So, maybe I was a little more intense in my approach than I’d have been otherwise.”
Not into alcohol lately, Varun’s drink went straight to his head. “There is a scene where I had to be drunk in the climax. It was shot at 4 am. I took a risk and actually consumed alcohol for the scene. Can you imagine, drinking at 4 am? I hadn’t had any alcohol for a while. It suddenly hit me and I was actually drunk.”
Varun says he was scared as he had lost control of his body movements. “Yes, it was scary, and it was a scene staring into Ashutosh Rana’s big intimidating eyes. That scene is very precious to me.”
Sounds tough? Wait. Varun has also done the longest one-take dramatic monologue of commercial Hindi cinema in the same film. Trying his utmost to remain modest, Varun says, “I’ve a done a 7-minute one-take emotional shot in the film. At the end of the shot, I cry, wipe my tears and move on. That’s how life is. I hope I managed to hold the shot together for 7 minutes and I prayed the audience doesn’t get restless. Full credit goes to my director. Shashank knows how to control my energy on camera. He bullied me a lot on the sets.”
The last one-shot dramatic monologue that was as lengthy was in Luv Ranjan’s Pyaar Ka Punchnama where Kartik Tiwari tried to articulate what women want.