‘Kai Po Che!’ star Sushant Singh Rajput has attributed his success in Bollywood to the new-age filmmaking.
The 29-year-old actor, who has also starred in “Shuddh Desi Romance” and Aamir Khan’s “PK”, has signed on to star in a biopic on Indian cricketer MS Dhoni and Shekhar Kapur’s ambitious “Paani” besides the upcoming Dibakar Bannejee’s sleuth drama “Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!”.
“The change in cinema has created room for actors like me. If we were not making the films that we are right now then I would not have been excited about my work. Most probably, I would have not got a chance to do films. The films that are being made want actors like me who can change themselves with each and every film and not think about their star value or the way they are perceived,” Sushant told PTI during his visit here.
- Can’t believe this is happening: Author John Green on The Fault In Our Stars Bollywood remake
- The Fault in Our Stars remake: Sushant Singh Rajput’s leading lady is debutant Sanjana Sanghi
- Sushant Singh Rajput and Sara Ali Khan are back to the grind as they start second schedule of Kedarnath
- Five years of Sushant Singh Rajput: Films that prove why he never shied away from taking risks
- Kedarnath director Abhishek Kapoor has a heartwarming message for his ‘Shambhoo’ Sushant Singh Rajput
- Sushant Singh Rajput confirms of doing Abhishek Kapoor’s next, but ‘can’t say much about working with Sara Ali Khan’
The actor said bagging the films have not been a cakewalk as he had to audition for each and every one of them. YRF’s “Detective ByomkeshBakshy!” is Sushant’s first major release after almost a gap of one and a half years.
He had a cameo in last year’s release “PK”. The actor, however, said he does not worry about not having back-to-back releases as he enjoys the filmmaking process more than waiting for Friday.
“The main reason I am in this industry is because I want to do films. I enjoy the shoots not just the Friday. The entire journey is important to me. Obviously, as an actor I want validation, of course the feedback is important and I want people to like me. But it is not the most essential thing for me.
“I am not counting the number of films releasing, I am counting the kind of films I do,” he said.
Having started his career from the small screen in 2008, it took Sushant some time till he finally managed to get his big break in Bollywood in 2013 with “Kai Po Che!”. The actor said being part of the industry is like a dream come true for him and has also brought a lot of changes in him.
“It is too good to be true. I always believed in myself. I am living my dream. Initially, I used to take myself very seriously. That has somewhat gone away,” Sushant said.
“Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!” also stars Anand Tiwari and Swastika Mukherjee in principal roles. The movie, produced by Dibakar Banerjee Productions and Yash Raj Films, is set to release on April 3.